No announcement yet.

1948/1949 Panhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underwel- Trying to 'figure out what kind of life' your bike has been through is probably more daunting a task than trying to put it back to a restored condition. Especially with a knucklehead motor in it !! I put a '36 knucklehead engine in a '58 swing arm frame back in the mid sixties. I have a pic, but can't get it to load. I have only seen a couple of knuck's in swing arm frames since. I remember having to put a plate under the front motor mount to get the 61" engine in the later frame. I don't know if you have to do that with a later knuck engine in an early pan frame. And I'm not sure about the wishbone or the straight leg (rigid)? is the difference for the added spacer plate under the front engine mount. Looks to me like you have a bitsa bike, and returning it back to fully stock would be a pretty serious job. Git it running, making sure it's reliable, in all aspects and have fun with it. As much as it's a bitsa bike, there's probably not another one like it, and thats OK !! Enjoy it, knowing you'll have a reliable bike without soaking a fortune into it. C2K

Comment

C2K
      I think you are right about the motor mounts. I am assuming that someone should have shimmed the front mounts. They are both broken on the engine. I think I'm going to leave it pretty much alone with the exception of making it safe and reliable. The Hydra glide is probably a better option for the roads I typically ride in rural Ohio, mostly 55mph State Routes. I like the fact the bike was built back in the day and not something I put together out of a catalog.

Comment

underwel, you will need a 3/8" thick spacer under the front motor mounts for a knuck motor to properly fit into a pan frame. v-twin sells them, or make your own out of 3/8" flat bar steel.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
          underwel, you will need a 3/8" thick spacer under the front motor mounts for a knuck motor to properly fit into a pan frame. v-twin sells them, or make your own out of 3/8" flat bar steel.
          Thanks so much for the information!! That would definitely make sense of why the front mounts broke

Comment

[QUOTE=41craig;184926]
            Originally posted by Rubone View Post
            Basically anything dated after July of '48 would be parts used in an early '49. Date codes are helpful but tricky due to when the factory changed over production (usually about August) and new models appeared starting in September. Occasionally something like a transmission could be several months off if it had some rework before installation. As stated, new models, especially with new features, precluded use of earlier style parts. However some early '49s did come with Springer forks on special order or if Sidecar equipped. Try and post some pics of your bike, I'd love to see it.

Did the early '49 Panheads, with the springer forks have the '48 and earlier front fender? And if so, did they also have the earlier 3 piece rear fender? Or, did they come with Glide style 45 springer front fender with the springer braces?
            Craig
            Only sidecar bikes had springers in 1949.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Any truth that the 49's with springers had a P in the VIN? Have one in the shop that does.

Comment

Originally posted by pan620 View Post
                Any truth that the 49's with springers had a P in the VIN? Have one in the shop that does.
                Is the P at the end of the numbers or after the letters before the numbers?

Comment

At the end of the numbers, very last character.

Comment

Working...
                  X