Front Axle for 57 Panhead Wide Glide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle for 57 Panhead Wide Glide

I have de-raked my 57 FL (it was a great idea to rake it 47 years ago.) I'm replacing the Paughco springer with a stock length wide glide front end. I don't want to give up the American wire wheel with the Performance Machine Disc brake that I had on the springer. I'm not going back to a front drum. I plan on lacing the hub to a 16" rim. I plan on using a straight 3/4" axle, I can't find a "stepped axle" long enough to fit the hub and the disc between the sliders. I suppose I will have to make my own bushings to adapt the axle to the left and right sliders. Before I do, do any vendors make bushings ready made to do what I want? Or perhaps an axle that will do the same thing.

Also, I had shaved the fender mounts off the original sliders when I first raked the bike, (after the first mud puddle, I had to use muffler clamps to mount a fender) I have a set of chromed sliders from another project, I don't know if the sliders were genuine HD and were chromed or if they are after market and maybe junk. Is there any way to determine if the sliders are OEM? If I replace the sliders, are there any quality aftermarket units, or would I be better off rebuilding a set of OEM's. Any recommendations on a shop in New England that does good work?

Thanks,
    Sam

Sam, On my 1967 FLH I converted to a PM caliper and disc mounted to an HD hub in front. I used one of PM's mounts for a springer fork I believe and used a strut to the original leg anchor tab for the drum backing plate. Custom axle and spacers. Forks great but takes a little head scratching. Caliper has to hang back and down a bit to clear fender skirt.
    DrSprocket

Comment

RichO,
      Thanks for the reply. I see you used an HD Hub. I want to keep the American Wheel hub I used on the springer. I just need to adapt a 3/4" straight axle, like a rear axle, to the sliders. Making bushings are all I need to do.
      Thanks,

Comment

V-Twin lists a 3/4" axle for wide glide, made to fit the '72 front disc setup, looks like it uses the late type axle sleeve on the left slider.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie, that is helpful.
          Sam

Comment

Working...
          X