Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Painting 48 Panhead

Hi Guys

I'm restoring this to the 'Deluxe' spec., but I prefer the predominantly black image on the enclosed to the more chromed parts on the 'proper' Deluxe spec on the 1948 order form, which are broadly what the other images are, though none seem to be officially correct to Palmers definition.

On the painting

In 1948, could you order different parts to be chromed than the 'Deluxe' spec, to achieve what I want?
    If the answer to the above is 'no', and I paint this predominantly black which is a lower spec, would points be deducted in the judging?

Thanks for your support

Greg

1948 orderblank.jpgamca judging 1.jpg

There were three groups in 48, utility solo group, sport solo group, deluxe solo group.
    Deluxe solo group has more chrome then other groups.
    Order form has a back side, all chrome items are included in deluxe group.

1948 orderblank rear.jpg
    Attached Files

Comment

14265093_1222622501094352_8494777516264177181_n_zpsrybyh3ya.jpgdac554a47827cea0baf6b5a767acd303.jpg

If you're going for AMCA points, stay with a standard equipment group. I also have a 1948FL and I have looked at a lot of vintage pictures to see what the 'average' '48FL looked like in the day; but there were no 'average' '48s. People instantly made their bikes fit their vision. I have to think H-D was way too busy in 1948 to do any custom combinations (except for police, and fleet orders). Orders that didn't comply with standard equipment groups were referred to the dealer, who was more than happy to sell whatever a customer wanted. The pictures above are as genuine and correct as a '48 H-D could be; but I'll bet those bikes didn't stay that way for long. I think you should please yourself first, and not build your bike for AMCA judges.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        If you're going for AMCA points,.... .. you should please yourself first, and not build your bike for AMCA judges.
        Judges want it "as it came from the factory", right, Folks?

Who's reproducing crates?

....Cotten
        Attached Files
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-05-2019, 09:50 AM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

A "popular" thing these days are painted rims, something that was very rare as stock. Most customers wanted flash and other than police and commercial uses virtually all new bikes had Sport or Deluxe packages and one of the first items in those packages were chrome rims. The blacked out look is a modern thing and not seen when new. So if that is what you want by all means do it. But it will never represent a new bike from the era.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
            Judges want it "as it came from the factory", right, Folks?

Who's reproducing crates?

....Cotten
            I think it is the same bloke who is selling period correct air for the tires.
            Mick

Comment

This is the only picture I have seen of a new, utility group motorcycle sold for private use. I'm sure there were other people like good old Alex that liked the look of a utility type motorcycle, but again, this is the only picture I have seen. I found this in a 1952 'Motorcyclist magazine and it was a picture taken by a dealer of Alex on his new 1952 Harley. As Robbie said, most everyone wanted chrome, and flash after the deprivation, and misery of WW2.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Many Thanks Guys - advice always much appreciated

Greg

Comment

Below is another MY1948 uncrating photo in case it's helpful. Any opinions as to whether this photo may have been a bit staged? Asking because weren't new bikes typically crated and shipped with seats not installed and/or at least covered with some kind of wrapping or packaging?

Photo 1:

[END]
                  Fletcher Clark Johnston
                  AMCA #282

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    This is the only picture I have seen of a new, utility group motorcycle sold for private use.
                    Anyone know anything about (a) the safety guard (something wrapped around the top left part?) or (b) the black mousetrap cover? Was black mousetrap cover standard (i.e., bare bones stock)?
                    Last edited by FCJ; 08-27-2020, 05:40 PM.
                    Fletcher Clark Johnston
                    AMCA #282

Comment

Working...
                    X