No announcement yet.

'48 FL Panhead - 6 volt or 12 volt????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '48 FL Panhead - 6 volt or 12 volt????

Hi Guys - the electrics on this bike are giving me a headache.

The generator - see image - is a model 61, which I believe is 6 volt, 2 brush, and from a 1961 - 64 bike. The regulator - see images - looks like 74510-47A, which I believe is also 6 volt and used on 1958 + bikes. I can't see what the coil is, and no battery was supplied with the bike. The bulbs are a mixture of 12 and 6 volt.

Is the above right, and therefore, is the bike a 6 volt machine?

Whilst I want to get the bike as original as possible, I'm thinking of refurbing the model 61 generator, (as it gives greater output than the original), and using a 6 volt (electronic) cut out/regulator which are now made identical to the original cut outs, and positioned in the same place?

What do you think?IMG_1050.JPGIMG_1063.JPGIMG_1064.JPG

The model 61 would be a perfectly fine one to use. When getting yourself a regulator make sure they know you are using a two brush as opposed to three brush generator and it will all work just fine.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Is the above right, and therefore, is the bike a 6 volt machine?
      Get a 6 volt battery and check voltage with engine running, 6.5 or 12.5 dependant on original field coils and armature or updated parts.

Whilst I want to get the bike as original as possible, I'm thinking of refurbing the model 61 generator, (as it gives greater output than the original), and using a 6 volt (electronic) cut out/regulator which are now made identical to the original cut outs, and positioned in the same place?
      32E generators use a cut out relay, 61 generators use a voltage regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post

32E generators use a cut out relay, 61 generators use a voltage regulator.
        Samwel makes a 6v and 12v regulator that looks like a cut out relay and accepts the original relay cover. I think that is what harleygreg is referring to. I bought a 6v one for a project that I am going to run a model 58 on a 45" flathead.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

thanks guys, I've rigged the bike as 6v with a 6v electronic relay referred to with 6v bulbs etc. Once it is all running I'll check the charging voltage and go from there.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
          X