No announcement yet.

Starter Issues '65 FLH when Warm!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my '67 FLH I narrowed the battery tray and cover to except an FX battery and I liked the look better as it now sticks out just as far as the oil tank on the other side.
    Rich, it is accept, not except. They way you wrote it it means anything other than an FX battery will fit.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by craig (DE) View Post
      So while I was taking the starter button apart just to take a look, the wire soldered to the bottom contact ring broke off. I guess while I was trying to pull it out from the handlebars a bit, I pulled too far or too hard.

So now I need a new switch. Can someone recommend a source for a new switch? If it's not one thing it's another!
      Honestly Craig,

Even though its "surgery", re-soldering is still easier than pulling wires through the bars. (That's if your 'new' switch comes with wires!)

Once upon a time, I thought member "Underdoggie" documented his pristine '65-only (and probably '64 servis) switch on this forum.
      But the search function sux, and he don't come 'round like he used to...

....Cotten
      PS: There are folks on this forum that are totally paranoid about soldering.

Get over it and try again.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        Honestly Craig,

Even though its "surgery", re-soldering is still easier than pulling wires through the bars. (That's if your 'new' switch comes with wires!)

Once upon a time, I thought member "Underdoggie" documented his pristine '65-only (and probably '64 servis) switch on this forum.
        But the search function sux, and he don't come 'round like he used to...

....Cotten
        PS: There are folks on this forum that are totally paranoid about soldering.

Get over it and try again.
        Hey Cotton,

I went out yesterday and bought a nice new pencil style soldering iron. I will give it a go this weekend! I still have those old pistol style soldering guns with the loop style tips. It is way to big to try to get it into that switch.
        Craig (Delaware)
        Delaware Bay Chapter
        Perkiomen Chapter
        AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Craig!

Don't forget the Ruby Fluid.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
            Craig!

Don't forget the Ruby Fluid.

....Cotten
            I still have old flux paste so maybe I need to try some of that fancy Ruby Fluid. Don't know who carries it around my parts.
            Craig (Delaware)
            Delaware Bay Chapter
            Perkiomen Chapter
            AMCA Member #1011

Comment

I get mine from the hardware on the next block, Craig!

(But its a small town.)

Try the plumbing department.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Actually that thread is on the flathead/panhead site
                John Underwood
                AMCA#14400
                Central Illinois

Comment

We used to have nice mom and pop hardware stores in my town but the big boys (Home Depot, Lowes) drove them out of business.
                  Craig (Delaware)
                  Delaware Bay Chapter
                  Perkiomen Chapter
                  AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Originally posted by craig (DE) View Post
                    We used to have nice mom and pop hardware stores in my town but the big boys (Home Depot, Lowes) drove them out of business.
                    Well Craig,

This one used to be locally owned, but now its part of a chain of lumber yards.

Ruby Fluid is a tinning acid, which is great for a freshly-cleaned surface, particularly the iron itself.
                    And it works fantastic with a rosin-core solder, which then prevents corrosion.

....Cotten
                    PS: So John!

Do you have any pics saved?
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-06-2018, 03:15 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

None of my local hardware stores carry Ruby Fluid. I even checked with Tractor Supply and they don’t carry it either. I just buy some fresh flux. The metal ring under the spring where my wire broke is very hard to get into to clean. I don’t want to put too much pressure on the other wire for fear of breaking the other wire still attached.
                      Craig (Delaware)
                      Delaware Bay Chapter
                      Perkiomen Chapter
                      AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Working...
                      X