Panhead Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead Tires

Any thoughts or suggestions out there about what kind of tires to run on a 56 pan.

I run the Shinko copy of Goodyear's from J&P. They are half the price of Coker's and are speed rated. Haven't had any issues. I run the Avon's on my knuckles.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

MK3 Avons. Solid old look tire with none of the issues of Coker which I would not run on my wheel barrel. Only negative from me is less mileage than
      some late model tires.

Comment

i was docked 2 points for having beck type tires on my 55FL last year, so I also need to know what tires should be on my bike.

Comment

Pretty sure that they will get you for something!

Comment

Watch out for any tires with a "classic" tread pattern ... my 65 runs fine on asphalt, but we have a lot of grooved cement pavement where I live, and that "classic" tread pattern wants to follow the grooves in the cement, which causes *severe* front end shaking and wandering ... can't wait to get rid of those tires and put on something with a modern tread pattern and stash the "classics" away for use only if I ever want to show it for judging
            Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

MK3 Avons are horrible on grooved concrete. If there is none of that where you ride, they are a good choice.

Comment

i have run coker on my 62 for several years now with no issues. all roads from interstate to the dragons tail. would buy them again.

Comment

The Avon Safety Mileage tires work well except on rain grooves. The Continental 112 is another choice, and is a little better on rain grooves.
                  VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by HENNIGAN62 View Post
                    i have run coker on my 62 for several years now with no issues. all roads from interstate to the dragons tail. would buy them again.
                    I've also run Cokers on both my panheads, and a '40 Chief with no problems at all. However, they are a soft compound and wear quickly, particularly when I ran a sidecar. I thought they were good in the rain, which we get a lot of here in Florida. Having said all that, my next pair of tires will probably be Shinkos for my '51FL because I like the look, and friends have recommended them. We have 2 draw bridges here in Sarasota and every motorcycle tire has been squirrely on those steel grates, including a Sportster with Continentals.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Just put Shinkos on my '49 and '58 but running original Goodyear on the '65.
                      #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Thanks to all for the information

Comment

I run and tested 4 different classic tires on my rigid frame Panheads.
                          AVON MK2, Continental K112, AllState and Coker/Beck style thread.
                          I can say, never use the Coker/Beck style tire. They are dangerous for your life. They are very slippery on wet roads - You cannot stop!
                          AVON MK2 are a good choice, but the Continental K112 I feel is better on uneven roads and has grip on dry or wet roads.
                          Also very good is the AllState Tire 5.00-16. Made in Japan and the most expensiv of all.
                          AVONMKII.jpgContinentalK112.jpgAllstateTire.jpg

Comment

I have put Shinko 270’s on lots of pans and shovels. They are a replica Goodyear supereagle pattern which was used by Harley Davidson till 1968. Have not had any problems and run them on my own bikes

Comment

Shinko 240’s are the speed grip pattern used by harley-Davidson after 1968. They can be a little squirrely on grooved pavement and iron grate bridges I prefer the 270 supereagle pattern. They are a little taller profile. They look good and wear well

Comment

Working...
                              X