1953 FL Clutch Booster Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 FL Clutch Booster Cover

I recently painted my steel mousetrap spring cover black. I then decided to read the NEW Bruce Palmer 'Bible' (I sometimes do things backwards for added drama). In doing so, I learned that it appears that this cover was stainless steel only for the1953 model year . The 1952 and 1954 covers were black-painted and subsequent years were cadmium plated or chromed, depending upon the options package.

Mr. Plamer's photo description on the bottom of page 947 denotes that stainless steel was used for this cover in 1953. However, the spring and cover are listed as black-painted parts in 1953 on page 949. It does seem odd that the cover would be black in '52 and '54 but stainless in '53 only - and then then switched to cad-painted in '55. but this is entirely possible. Maybe they liked the look of the light-colored cover, but stainless proved to be expensive and eventually switched to cadmium as a cheaper way and offered chrome plating to generate more profit under the various options packages.

Finally, I've never seen a stainless steel mousetrap spring cover, but then again I never looked for one and old, dull stainless can easily be mistaken for cadmium-plated mild steel.

If anyone can shed some light on this cover material before I go on a wild goose chase, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks...
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

My original paint 53 has a black painted cover. It may be black painted stainless steel, but that wouldn't make much sense.

Comment

Thanks JWL - to me, the black painted part makes sense...
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Magnet sticks to it so apparently it is not stainless steel.

Comment

Several OEM Harley SS parts are magnetic.

Comment

Originally posted by upsrod View Post
            Folks,

Non-magnetic stainless sheet becomes magnetic when it is pressed to shape, explaining magnetic aircleaner covers, fender trim, and the like.
            Yet I believe the spring cover was ordinary steel, often chromed,.. but then I've never owned one!

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

SS with iron added for malleability will attract magnets. pure SS does not.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                SS with iron added for malleability will attract magnets. pure SS does not.
                Explain this, Duffey!

Here is a piece of SS sheet that is not attracted to a speaker magnet at all on its flat end, but the other end that I just dimpled in a dome block and flattened back out sticks.

Scrap buyers with magnets have been ripping off scrounges for years.

....Cotten
                Attached Files
                AMCA #776

Comment

I worked with SS for 17 years.The product we produced reacted with iron.We had to use 316L SS [pure SS] and when welded had to be acid washed w/nitric & hydroflouric acid to clean the welded area.316L is very hard & brittle not maleable[bendable].Iron added to SS makes it slightly less hard and maleable.still SS.there are varying degrees of iron added for different purposes.Your 6" SS ruler wil attract a magnet and will rust if exposed to moisture/cemicals for extended periods.
                  The sheet metal we used in plant that was not in contact with the outgoing product was less than/not 316L.You could bend weld etc. and it would not attract a magnet.It would slightly rust if exposed for long periods to product & water.There are many types of SS most has iron in it.If it attracts a magnet it it is not pure SS.The sheet metal we used for conveyors,trays etc was 304 SS.The product would turn colors if left on it,but even after bending & welding would not attract a magnet.
                  Last edited by duffeycycles; 04-30-2016, 10:56 AM.

Comment

That's great, Duffey,...

But please explain why my piece of scrap that has been in the weather for years without corrosion is suddenly magnetic, only where it has been worked?

....Cotten
                    PS: I've been around stainless enough to smell it in a pile.
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-30-2016, 11:31 AM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

It has some iron in it and thats why it did not break when bent and why the magnet sticks.I'm not saying there isnt a diff magnet attraction when bent,just saying it is not pure SS.And less pure than 304 wich will not rust in just water,but with other chemicals and water it will show slight surface rust.It also does not attract a magnet when bent.My SS rulers will attract a magnet & rust with just water but rust wipes off easily

Comment

But Duffey!

There is ZERO attraction before the metal is worked, only after worked back and forth; Seriously: non-magnetic stainless can be made magnetic.
                        And how can anything be a "steel", stainless or not, without some iron?

And that is why pressed vintage pieces are magnetic, whether they were 'pure' or not. If it tarnishes at all, I wouldn't call it "stainless", and H-D "stainless" doesn't tarnish, even when it is magnetic.

When in doubt, I just smell it.

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Read my posts,there is iron in it.But telling you anything is wasting my time..And it does tarnish,I clean it with SS cleaner & polish all the time
                          Last edited by duffeycycles; 04-30-2016, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by upsrod View Post
                            Sorry Rod,

You gotta replace the aircleaner cover on your '65, because its magnetic!
                            (Even if you don't have to 'polish it all the time'.)

Somebody better warn Bruce Palmer III to hold the presses on his next edition....

....Cotten
                            PS: Now all of the AMCA judges must be equipt with compasses to detect magnetism.
                            My '65 aircleaner shows a pole at the maintenance script. Might as well scrap it.
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-30-2016, 01:27 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                            X