Fuel Cutoff/Reserve Tank Rod Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Cutoff/Reserve Tank Rod Question

My 60 Panhead Fuel Rod has just messed up. It is an original, and the rod no longer stays up in the "Reserve" position. I noticed a broken spring under the knob.
    I was going to look for a kit to replace the spring, but I have also had problems with the rod not shutting off the gas flow completely so I wanted to fix everything at the same time.
    Is there a diagram or schematic of the fuel rod assembly somewhere that I can look at to figure out how the valve and fuel rod works?
    I suspect that without the spring, there will be no "Reserve" function of the fuel rod, correct?
    Thanks for any help you can give me.

the knob is the top ,next is the seal cap ,spring,washer,& seal-the seal sits in a taper and the spring pushes down on the seal wedging the seal against the rod to stay up on reserve.The seal and spring need to be in good order.The shutoff is at the bottom--many people are replacing the whole unit with one from Carl's Cycle ,with a Peek[plastic]tip at the shutoff

Comment

You've got 2 separate problems here. The failure to stay in the lifted reserve position is caused by the broken spring and probably a worn sealing washer on the top and the leaking is caused by a worn seat on the bottom valve unit or possibly on the bottom of the rod itself.

Jerry

Comment

The problem I have is how the top seal changes geometry after its installed and exposed to the 'gasahol' we now call fuel. The rod becomes very difficult to turn and lift soon after the tanks are filled ad the fuel is swirled around. There must be another material for this application!
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill!

The original design depended upon the spring against the washer to expand a simple cork for a seal, and resistance.

For over two decades now I have been removing the cork, washer, and spring, and replacing them with two common neoprene roofing nail washers.

The fuel fattens them up just right.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Nice - I'll try that.....
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Two questions about the peek shutoffs.
              Are they sold by Carl's cycle?
              Do they look origional ?

Comment

I bought a couple of Carl's shut off rods. They are nicely cad plated, and look stock to me.
                VPH-D

Comment

I replace the spring, washer and seal with a piece of 1/4 fuel line cut to about a 1/4 inch length. I've used this method for decades.

Photo7298.jpgPhoto7299.jpgPhoto7302.jpgPhoto7301.jpg

Comment

Carl's kit works well, looks stock. All parts are of top quality and everything is there for a complete rebuild and no more leaky fuel tap.

Comment

Thanks I ordered two, one for my UL and one for my FL. Thanks. I have been wanting a reliable shut off for thirty years. Glad someone finally designed one.
                      FNA

Comment

Sidehacker!

I just dress the shut-off rod on the lathe, and its good for another thirty years.

Takes five minutes.

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

I tried to dress mine and it still seeped. I put one of Carl's in and starts great again and the garage doesn't stink anymore. I wish I had done it years ago.
                          Kurly

Comment

Originally posted by kurly View Post
                            I tried to dress mine and it still seeped. I put one of Carl's in and starts great again and the garage doesn't stink anymore. I wish I had done it years ago.
                            Kurly
                            Kurly!

You cut it with a lathe, or spun it in the drill press with emery?

Had to ask, sorry.

....Cotten
                            PS: With all due respect to Carl supplying a fine complete assembly, (and PEEK itself special to me), I still think the original metal, properly cut (its like a simple "45" on the toolpost to give a 90 degree point,..) will survive longer.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Hollywood,

The 1/4" hose trick has been working very well - thank you...
                              Bill Pedalino
                              Huntington, New York
                              AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                              X