No announcement yet.

65 pan solo 3 1/2 gallon tank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On second inspection I must agree with you, good eye!

Comment

My '65 lower tree is original to the bike and it too is welded up at the stop.

Comment

Perhaps Harley welded up their 3 1/2 gallon trees from '64 to clear the 5 gallon tanks?

Comment

Cotton I have a few lower trees that I would gladly trade for carburetor services. What are the peculars of the one you are looking for and I will dig them out. Jerry

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          Jorrow!

The difference in trees question deals with these cut-aways on the "stops", supposedly for the fivers, but I never encountered the problem with common trees... I think,... (Its been too many years...)

....Cotten
          PS: Meanwhile while in the attic digging these out, I am reminded that I personally need a HydraGlide bottom tree. Will trade carb and manifold services... which is a premium since I am booked solid 'til retirement, and running off nearly all new accounts.

Comment

Jerry!

Silly me, I thought HydraGlides were all alike!
            Whatever's correct for my low-VIN '49..

Please feel free to post me direct at libertynightshift@gmail.com

Thanks!

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Low VIN '49 is a specific tree, small 3/8 studs with nuts instead of pinch bolts.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The cutout fork stops are for '65 and later with 3.5 gallon tanks.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                  The cutout fork stops are for '65 and later with 3.5 gallon tanks.
                  They actually started in 1958!

Comment

Thanks Folks!

Now I'm really confused, but since the machine is a mutt anyway, any HydraGlide tree will do:
                    I just want the rake angle to be as correct as possible, as I believe the Duo shifted a couple of degrees.

Just a hunch,

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Duo-Glides do have a different rake.

Comment

Originally posted by upsrod View Post
                        They actually started in 1958!
                        If they relieved the fork stops in 1958 the forks would bang the tanks. This was first done in 1965 when the fork stops were changed to accommodate the 5 gallon tanks.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I am not going to argue with you Chris!

Comment

I'm so confused, Folks...

(I'm afraid to get my Palmer's Second Edition dirty!)

But as is my nature, I must disagree with everybody.

So I got back into the attic and found the set of Duos that I had intended for the '49 before I knew better.
                            And before I knew better, I also ran them on a '65 with 3½s... They are not relieved: No tank interference, not even close.
                            (My other sets on hand are adjustables, which apparently never changed from '50 through very modern times, and tell me little.)

So, can we assume the stop 'ribs' on the headstocks did not change?
                            Then it would imply that the reliefs on the bottom tree allow for more 'swing', and more likely to hit fiver tanks, or anything else.

I haven't a chassis with fivers handy, but it appears to me that a relieved bottom tree would most likely smack 3½s at the shift gate!
                            So that would push the reliefs forward to '66, wouldn't it?

....Cotten
                            PS: Echo Nelson Muntz: HAA ha....
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-28-2017, 01:23 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Cotton Found 2 lower trees that I believe are for Duo Glide - I also found a tree with the 3/8" studs but my camera messed it up.
                              and they are available but I'm with you - it is confusing.
                              [QUOTE=T. Cotten;162446]Jorrow!

The difference in trees question deals with these cut
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 03-28-2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks for looking, Jerry!

Palmer's SE shows a comparison on pg. 111, but it appears the stem has been removed from the Duo for confusion.

I've already got one more Duo than I need, but if you are certain about the one with studs, please pick out a carb project and get it in to me so I can keep others out.
                                (If its a Linkert, send a manifold too. If its a Schebler, I hope it will be pretty even-up.)

Looking forward to it, Thanks again!

....Cotten
                                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                                X