65 pan solo 3 1/2 gallon tank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 pan solo 3 1/2 gallon tank Question

I was not sure weather to post this in the 65 pan book project post.Or just start a new one here. I am looking for any member who may have knowledge of a factory 65 solo with 3 1/2 gallon tanks. So it would have standard trees. My bike was acquired with the smaller tanks on it. The motor numbers and trans and frame numbers are correct. Although I have found a few parts shocks 64 style ,taillight lens 68,and 69 style directional and spots ( aftermarket along with the headlight surround).I have the bike apart over the winter to change some parts to year correct. The triple trees have been heavyly powder .So I cant read the casting..My lower trees has the milled stops and the left( sitting on the bike) headlight boss drilled out and the terminal hole is on the right. But the horn was mounted on the top tree by a "L" bracket the rubber mount.on the left and again terminal hole is on right. Is this correct?? Does anyone have a pic of how this should look with the nacelle off? I have tried to post pics but to no avail..I have been reading the new palmer book. Pages 111 through 114.refer to page 113 lower right.I think maybe I have 65 top and 68 bottom for 3 gallon tanks. Does any body else seen a 65 3 gallon lower tree?? are both headlight bosses blank?? with the stops milled?? The killer is I put 5 gallon tanks on over the summer and they DO NOT hit the front end when turned. There is a good inch there I don't get it...Paddy

Originally posted by paddy View Post
    I was not sure weather to post this in the 65 pan book project post.Or just start a new one here. I am looking for any member who may have knowledge of a factory 65 solo with 3 1/2 gallon tanks. So it would have standard trees. My bike was acquired with the smaller tanks on it. The motor numbers and trans and frame numbers are correct. Although I have found a few parts shocks 64 style ,taillight lens 68,and 69 style directional and spots ( aftermarket along with the headlight surround).I have the bike apart over the winter to change some parts to year correct. The triple trees have been heavyly powder .So I cant read the casting..My lower trees has the milled stops and the left( sitting on the bike) headlight boss drilled out and the terminal hole is on the right. But the horn was mounted on the top tree by a "L" bracket the rubber mount.on the left and again terminal hole is on right. Is this correct?? Does anyone have a pic of how this should look with the nacelle off? I have tried to post pics but to no avail..I have been reading the new palmer book. Pages 111 through 114.refer to page 113 lower right.I think maybe I have 65 top and 68 bottom for 3 gallon tanks. Does any body else seen a 65 3 gallon lower tree?? are both headlight bosses blank?? with the stops milled?? The killer is I put 5 gallon tanks on over the summer and they DO NOT hit the front end when turned. There is a good inch there I don't get it...Paddy
    Just bumping this up Folks,

....As its very good question!

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

years ago I owned a 65 police bike with tank shift and 3.5 gal tanks, I have some old hard copy photos somewhere, thanks, Larry

Comment

My buddy has a 65 (ex police bike) with 3-1/2 gallon hand shift tanks. A lot of city police were 3-1/2's with hand shift. From what I understand 65 five gallon tanks had a shut off rod (one year only) just like 3-1/2's.

I believe you are correct on the horn mounting. I seem to recall that's where it was on my buddy's when he stripped it down to paint it years ago.

Comment

CHP had 3 1/2 gal bikes with Foot Shift in '65.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Folks,

It pretty obvious that police departments would often special order, or paint their own.

My question becomes: What would the Factory offer for a civvy tank-shift?

Sorry you can't post your pic, Upsrod!

I think it may be like these thumbnails previously posted to this forum, but I cannot find it.
            If anyone recognizes these as their own, please let me know!

....Cotten
            Attached Files
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-24-2017, 04:54 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Yes Tom, that is like the one that I posted only it was blue and white.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                Folks,

It pretty obvious that police departments would often special order, or paint their own.

My question becomes: What would the Factory offer for a civvy tank-shift?

Sorry you can't post your pic, Upsrod!

I think it may be like these thumbnails previously posted to this forum, but I cannot find it.
                If anyone recognizes these as their own, please let me know!

....Cotten
                It looks like the bike in the thumbnails is mine.

Comment

Originally posted by jwl View Post
                  It looks like the bike in the thumbnails is mine.
                  Can you re-post the pics?

Many thanks in advance,

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                    Can you re-post the pics?

Many thanks in advance,

....Cotten
                    I can when I get back home. Will be a few weeks.

Comment

My horn comes off the same left side on my 65, with an L bracket that's been welded up a few times. Yes the terminal is to the right.

Comment

These are off a 1965 with 5 gallon, hope it helps.tree.jpgtree3.jpgtree2.jpg

Comment

Jorrow!

The difference in trees question deals with these cut-aways on the "stops", supposedly for the fivers, but I never encountered the problem with common trees... I think,... (Its been too many years...)

....Cotten
                          PS: Meanwhile while in the attic digging these out, I am reminded that I personally need a HydraGlide bottom tree. Will trade carb and manifold services... which is a premium since I am booked solid 'til retirement, and running off nearly all new accounts.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-26-2017, 03:06 PM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Mine don't have any stop cutouts tree1.jpg

Comment

Jorrow!

It tis folly to judge by a photo, but your's appear to have been welded up!

The mystery continues....

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X