1965 lever question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 lever question

CIMG6173 (2).JPGCIMG6174 (2).JPG What is wrong with these parts? I just purchased them separately from two of our members. The pins is supposed to be part#45031-65, hand lever pivot pin. The other is 45024-65, hand lever w/bushing. The pin is 13/32" in dia. The hole in the lever is a hair over 3/8" That is a no go. Any suggestions or info on this? Thanks. mike

I'm a Sportster guy, but I'm pretty sure Sportster and big twin used the same lever in 1965 (first year for the new style.) The levers you have pictured are NOT the correct levers for a 1965. But like I said, I can only say that with confidence regarding Sportsters. Hopefully one of the Panhead experts can chime in and let me know if I'm correct.

Comment

Jerry is correct they are not the levers for 65. The 65 levers are basically straight with a small ball on the end, part #45002-65. No curve. If you have the parts or service manuals you can see them there or if you have any of the panhead restoration books they are shown there as well.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
      AMCA # 12766

Comment

This should help.
        Attached Files
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Oh Jeez, here we go. First I will have to talk to the member who just sold me these levers with a part number of 45024-65. As far as the clamps themselves, I have been told that for 1965 they did NOT have holes for the mirrors, an still used the older separate clamps for them. I hate to say it, but I kind of thought I had the right levers, but I defered to older, more "knowlegeable" members on the proper part. Anybody know for sure on the right parts? I do have the parts book, of course. Yopu would have to be an idiot to not use it, but it also usually shows the latest replacement version of any multi year part. That goes both ways. Now, what are the levers for? Thanks. Mike

Comment

Interesting, My 65 Sporster user manual does not show the mirror hole but the color 65 sales brochure does as far as I can make it out. Go figure. Now you got me wondering if I got the right ones on my 65 XLCH. They have the mirror hole. Bob L
            AMCA #3149

Comment

Thanks for your responses so far. Nice to know others are still wondering about the fabulous 1965 models. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                Jerry is correct they are not the levers for 65. The 65 levers are basically straight with a small ball on the end, part #45002-65. No curve. If you have the parts or service manuals you can see them there or if you have any of the panhead restoration books they are shown there as well.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                AMCA # 12766
                Those levers were available in the 1962 Accessory Catalog part# 45017-62 for a whopping $3.75, so they were definitely available in 65.

Comment

Actually, those levers were still available from the MC as of two years ago at $85 clams each. Bob L
                  AMCA #3149

Comment

Originally posted by cdndewey View Post
                    Those levers were available in the 1962 Accessory Catalog part# 45017-62 for a whopping $3.75, so they were definitely available in 65.
                    Here are my thoughts looking through my levers. All my straight ones (5 or 6) with a ball on the end have a 13/32 hole. I have one curved one with a ball on the end like you pictured and it has a 3/8 hole. If they did come out in '62 remember the pre'64 uses a shoulder screw that is 3/8 dia. Possibly they made it to fit either- as sold to fit the pre '64 style with 3/8 hole or reamed 13/32 by you to fit the newer style with pin and clip, or did this curved style stop in '64 and they went to a straight style with the larger hole in '65? So being in the accessory catalog, does that mean all pre'64 levers were straight except as an accessory with a ball on the end starting in '62? When did they go back to straight with the ball on the end? So if it was an accessory and you like the lever, ream it bigger to fit the bracket diameter, if not keep searching for a straight one. So I guess the original question still hasn't been answered by my ramblings. Bob AMCA# 6738
                    Last edited by BigLakeBob; 12-25-2012, 03:54 PM.
                    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                      Here are my thoughts looking through my levers. All my straight ones (5 or 6) with a ball on the end have a 13/32 hole. I have one curved one with a ball on the end like you pictured and it has a 3/8 hole. If they did come out in '62 remember the pre'64 uses a shoulder screw that is 3/8 dia. Possibly they made it to fit either- as sold to fit the pre '64 style with 3/8 hole or reamed 13/32 by you to fit the newer style with pin and clip, or did this curved style stop in '64 and they went to a straight style with the larger hole in '65? So being in the accessory catalog, does that mean all pre'64 levers were straight except as an accessory with a ball on the end starting in '62? When did they go back to straight with the ball on the end? So if it was an accessory and you like the lever, ream it bigger to fit the bracket diameter, if not keep searching for a straight one. So I guess the original question still hasn't been answered by my ramblings. Bob AMCA# 6738
                      I've got a stash of straight and curved ones, so I'll drag them out and have a measure of what I got.

Comment

Also, the trimmed thickness of the part of the lever that is inserted into the clamp itself has a straight edge that rubs against the clamp on the curved lever, and the straight lever has a curved edge that conforms to the profile of the clamp om my bike. So can you me if the clamps are different on the pre-65 bikes?
                        Attached Files

Comment

brake2.JPG brake.JPG The 1965 lever 45024-65 and bracket 45023-65, look like this. Note no hole for mirror on the bracket.

Comment

Thanks! There is some good info on here. I see what I need. Now, anybody got any of this stuff,(handlebar lever clamps, mirrors, mirror clamps, or left side dual exhust cover to sell, or trade? Let me know what you need. Mike

Comment

Hello if you need the hand levers like on the blue pictured bike .i have 2 n.o.s. Need you email me to send pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X