Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to tap the hole to a 4-40 and set screw like the new bikes ,

Comment

There is a welch plug on the front of the neck you have to remove to get the plunger out. But why remove it?
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

51FL, I was just wondering if you plan to keep all the tin on your fork? If so; you could dig out the plug, because no one will ever see the front of your frame neck.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Exeric , Im not running tins (SHHHHH dont tell anyone a panhead isnt even goin in the frame , this is my knuckle chopper but i like the way the neck lock looks

Comment

1948 Frame Lock

Has anyone ever removed a lock intact? The lock in my 48 frame is frozen, not sure if it is the plunger, lock or both. I really would like to remove it intact if possible for repair, again if possible, rather than just destroy it and replace it with an incorrect for the year lock from Bill's. Were the earlier wishbone locks held in with a screw or a rollpin? The visble head on mine looks to have a slot in it or was it staked in place? I had a key made for the lock, cut from code but it will not budge. The frame is a real cherry and I hate like hell to drill the lock out. Any ideas?? Thanks, John
            Attached Files

Comment

Hack!

I have removed several cores intact, sent them to a locksmith for cleaning and a key, and then re-installed with no problem.

I do not know when the rollpin was introduced, but most earlier models will still have a nub of a screw where the head had been chisled off after installation.

A 3/32" left-hand drillbit will occasionally draw the old screw out with it.
              The critical aspect is to avoid drilling too far, into the core.
              Feeling with a key, even a wrong one, gives leverage to loosen it.

I preferred to re-pin the core by tapping for a setscrew, and capping over it with paint.

I also avoided re-installing the spring, as that would seem to be a liability if the tang ever broke away from the back of the core, for it could suddenly push the rod forward, and lock you up in a turn!

Good luck,
              ...Cotten
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-13-2011, 08:49 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

My 49-50, or possibly it's a 51 Wishbone had a solid pin. It's been 20 or so years ago but with an hour of drilling-checking and drilling I was able to drill thru the pin and the tumbler came ouy pretty easy. Never thought about tapping and using a screw. Could of used a short screw, filled the hole with grease and capped it with a short plug.

Kerry
                Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Working...
                X