Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 Knuckle wiring harness

I ordered a wiring harness from hummeremporium.com/motorcycle harness.com
    The color coding matches the factory manual. There are three wires that have a tracer on them just like the manual shows. My question is that I have seen on some forums that the wiring harness has quite a few wires with tracers.
    Which one is correct?
    Where can I get a correct harness if this is not correct?

Check the wiring diagram in a service manual. That will tell you the proper colours and which wires had a tracer on them. If you don't have a wiring diagram let me know and I will scan one and send it to you.

Comment

I am not aware of a truly correct aftermarket wiring harness. I believe they all come from the same source and I am not aware of another wiring harness maker. I just wired my '48FL and the harness was very close but some of the terminal lugs were not the same as original, and some of the wire guages were smaller or the insulation was not as thick. I saw a genuine H-D wiring harness on ebay that was bid over $500 and didn't make it's reserve. It seems to me, there is a real demand for an accurate harness.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I know of at least two different makers of wiring harness. I am sure there are more.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by gallen View Post
          I ordered a wiring harness from hummeremporium.com/motorcycle harness.com
          The color coding matches the factory manual. There are three wires that have a tracer on them just like the manual shows. My question is that I have seen on some forums that the wiring harness has quite a few wires with tracers.
          Which one is correct?
          Where can I get a correct harness if this is not correct?
          Bruce Linsday makes the proper correct harness. Several people do sell his harness's. As far as ebay,,all depends on the time and who wants it..I personally don't run an original harness, I like the rubber insulated harness(and can still be judged). If you're riding and something burns, you'll be glad you had the insulation. Taken from experience...Len
          AMCA #765

Comment

You can also do your own 'harness' with supplies from Rhode Island Wire in (you guessed it) Rhode Island. They sell all the supplies, correct trace wires, etc. Their wire is cloth wrapped over a modern neoprene insulation. So you get the right look with modern insulation. They have all the correct ends, connectors, etc. They sell wire by the foot or the roll. Their catalog is a must-have for the restorer.

http://www.riwire.com/

Cheers,

Sirhr
            Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 03-15-2011, 05:01 PM. Reason: adding url

Comment

I have always used Bruce's harnesses and I have no complaints. It is my understanding that certain terminal ends that were used by H-D, are no longer made. Some people are purists and demand absolute perfection. My post was submitted with that in mind.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
                Bruce Linsday makes the proper correct harness. Several people do sell his harness's. As far as ebay,,all depends on the time and who wants it..I personally don't run an original harness, I like the rubber insulated harness(and can still be judged). If you're riding and something burns, you'll be glad you had the insulation. Taken from experience...Len
                How would I get in touch Bruce Linsday?

Comment

Bruce Linsday, 17421 Chagrin River Road, Chagrin Falls, OH. 44023 440-247-4020
                  AMCA #3149
                  http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

From what I've seen, every wire has a tracer with the exception of the horn which is solid black. Most diagrams only show the high/low switch with the true tracer colors. All the rest are the primary color with a white tracer. My 48 has a yellow with a black tracer for the front fender light but that's it. All the terminals as far as I know on your bike should be soldered as the crimp terminal came into play in 48. The majority of terminals on my 48 should have shrink wrap on them, but. Bruce make a great product but it's up to you to set it right. Bob L
                    AMCA #3149
                    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I have purchased harnesses from three different suppliers and all vary in accuracy and correctness. God only knows where these harnesses originated and whether or not they came from the same source. I now have a pile of wires and connectors and make up my harnesses as I go. This way I have at least some control over accuracy. I did not know that Bruce was involved in wiring so I have never seen his harnesses, but I bet they're very close.

One thing I would ask is whether or not Bruce uses the brass flag connectors as did H-D. I would assume that if not, they are probably no longer manufactured.
                      Bill Pedalino
                      Huntington, New York
                      AMCA 6755

Comment

Bruce makes the best wiring harnesses and to my knowledge have the correct terminals although mine were done (the terminals) from an expert==

Comment

What about these.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                            From what I've seen, every wire has a tracer with the exception of the horn which is solid black. Most diagrams only show the high/low switch with the true tracer colors. All the rest are the primary color with a white tracer. My 48 has a yellow with a black tracer for the front fender light but that's it. All the terminals as far as I know on your bike should be soldered as the crimp terminal came into play in 48. The majority of terminals on my 48 should have shrink wrap on them, but. Bruce make a great product but it's up to you to set it right. Bob L
                            Thank You I will get in touch with Bruce

Comment

Working...
                            X