• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat-Happy,
    My 47 WL is in the 166* range--Michael--6671

Comment

Stillman

My 48 pan (48FL788*) which I believe has its' original tail does not have the script. Wonder if the confusion on this matter was whether or not it came chrome.

Jerry

Comment

thank you both for the info and help---actually i have seen both black and chrome with and without but the chrome always goes bad around the lettering first

Comment

Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
          do the judges concur with our findings? if so then a 47 should have no writing and have points deducted it it does and a 48 should have the writing and have points deducted if they do not. that seems to be the evidence supported by the great photos you and chris have posted.
          Not to throw a wrench into that neat little order but....this is a pic of the taillight on 48FL98XX. No guide marking.

I know, the bike is repainted, appears to be 51 metallic blue. other than that it appears quite original with 44,000 showing on the clock.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I think you guys are beating a dead horse with this quest. I think Guide had some molds with the writing and some without. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the use of the bodies with the writing. I have original paint 47 FL465X with no stamp. Original paint 48 FL10800 with no stamp. I also have an NOS black painted taillight with the bolted on tag bracket and it has the stamping. John L.

Comment

chris why do you always have to get your panties in a wadd?? i have a lot of faith in your photographs. i used to be registered on you site that you always post a link to but got kicked off so i never re registered.. this whole thread is not any type of attack on you or your knowledge or your photos. we are all very lucky to have you but dam man you could be a little more civil. i try to add a little sense of humor with some of my posts. you take it as offensive. i guess that's why you sent me a personal email asking me "why all the wise cracks?". and i tried to apologize as graciously as possible knowing you must have taken something i said out of context because i never make wisecracks to people i don't know or don't have a sense of humor. for god's sake lighten up man i'm just trying to find the truth about a tail light that i knew little to nothing about. thank you for posting the long view of the picture you said is marked 48 prototype. that sure looks like a 47 hinge to me with three barrels on top and 2 on bottom
              Flathappy,
              It is you who doesn't realize that you leg was being pulled. Why else would I have posted the photo after quoting your disreguard for them.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if maybe there is a link between "with & without Guide marking" and "military & civilian bikes"? Army often imposed part numbers to be visible for improved serviceability or whatever...

I suppose that the certainly crossing of replacement parts during all those many years may have added additional confusion. It is known that large amounts of military surplus was made available for civilian use at a certain time.

Zero background behind what I say - just thinking loud!

BTW, I have a low numbered 2XXX 47F and no trace of "Guide" to be seen... Neither in my high numbered 12XXX 48FL and 48LE...

Kind regards to all,

Chris.
                Last edited by Chris in Japan; 09-15-2009, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Flathappy,
                  It is you who doesn't realize that you leg was being pulled. Why else would I have posted the photo after quoting your disreguard for them.
                  _____

you got me chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris in Japan View Post
                    Hi everybody,

I was wondering if maybe there is a link between "with & without Guide marking" and "military & civilian bikes"? Army often imposed part numbers to be visible for improved serviceability or whatever...

I suppose that the certainly crossing of replacement parts during all those many years may have added additional confusion. It is known that large amounts of military surplus was made available for civilian use at a certain time.

Zero background behind what I say - just thinking loud!

BTW, I have a low numbered 2XXX 47F and no trace of "Guide" to be seen... Neither in my high numbered 12XXX 48FL and 48LE...

Kind regards to all,

Chris.
                    chris does your tail light have the removable bolted on strap?

Comment

chris does your tail light have the removable bolted on strap?
                      Hi flat-happy,

Removable with those nice vintage hex-flex recessed nuts... Zero information about the history of my bike but looks pretty "old" to me and certainly no disassembled last week! But who can tell if "correct"...

Kind regards!

Chris.

Comment

thanks chris----your bikes looks great to me---probably the original export green paint too as it should be. i'd be proud to own it man

Comment

Hey Flat Happy
                          My Red, Barn Fresh 47, that you saw at Davenport. It does not have Guide,
                          on the tail light. Narrow brace fenders, 47E45XX serial no.
                          Regards Lee

Comment

hi lee---thank you for the info. i was going to ask you about the narrow brace fenders but we were talking about so much stuff i forgot. that sure was a nice bike. i'll have to come up and visit sometime. 2-3 times a year ain't enough. when are you going to break the news about your latest project you lucky dog!!!!

Comment

Hi, Stillman
                              The 47 also, has the mid year frame.
                              I have never seen narrow brace fenders, with a 47E45XX ser. no.
                              in the later 47 frame, always the bull neck.
                              Just got the title, in the mail for that second 40EL project.
                              Still hard to believe - two pair of motor cases 40EL15XX, with consecutive vins.
                              bought one year apart, different areas of the country
                              Lee

Comment

Lee,
                                An old friend of mine bought two knuckles, six months apart, from different parts of the country and they were consecutive serial number '46s. This was a good ten years or more ago and he tried for a long time to sell them as a pair with no takers. He ended up selling them individually, a real shame. They were both '60s style choppers when he got and sold them. I always have regretted not trying to put the money together but things were too tight at the time. Hell, they still are!
                                Robbie
                                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                                X