Knucklehead Diving Board Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knucklehead Diving Board Repair

I have a head that has the small center diving board that supports the rocker assembly broken off. I am not a welder and am looking for a source to repair this head. Any recommendations on someone with experience with this type of repair?
    Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63
    1915 Harley Davidson 11F Twin

One option is Advanced Cycle Machining in Superior, Wisconsin. I've had them fix panhead cylinder fins, sleeve cylinders, repair a kicker cover (plug and kicker bore), & repair a panhead case. They do nice work.

Good luck!

Comment

Do you have the broken piece or does a new part have to be made?

Comment

Originally posted by jgbrown59 View Post
        One option is Advanced Cycle Machining in Superior, Wisconsin. I've had them fix panhead cylinder fins, sleeve cylinders, repair a kicker cover (plug and kicker bore), & repair a panhead case. They do nice work.

Good luck!
        Agree. They did some work for me. Great job. Very reasonably priced and fast turnaround.

Dale

Comment

I don't have the original piece. I bought a repair part from Cimarron Cycle.
          Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63
          1915 Harley Davidson 11F Twin

Comment

That shouldn't be too tough for a good welder,I've fixed a few of those and they are pretty easy. If you have a machine shop near you with a good tig welder they should be able to set you up.

Comment

With all due respect to Cimarron, Erik,...

A stitched-on piece will never be as strong as building the bracket up bead-by-bead, and then carving and machining the bolt hole square and centered.

I was successful with bronze filler decades ago, but it would have been better if I had known cast iron piston rings are ideal.

Most modern welders dogmatically use silicon bronze, which is far more difficult to sculpt.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
              X