George Smith of S&S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Smith of S&S

This picture was recently posted in "Vintage Harley Davidson of the Day". I think it is George Smith of S&S fame. The 2nd picture is also of George Smith and his family and probably the same motorcycle. I tried to respond there but it is not a responding chat. Jerry George Smith S&S.jpgGeo Smith S&S.jpg
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 05-23-2023, 08:54 AM.

Yes,both are George & his knuck "Tramp",with Marge.When they were in Blue Island ill

Comment

1958 cycle mag.Stanley's pink pan,later called "Sid's Red Baron",Sid Bieberman,George's b-in law bought it from Stanley.George built his red dual carb pan soon after this one.Both bikes ridden at least as far as Iowa.I have pics of Sid's Red Baron after long ride in deep snow !

S&S cycle.jpgS&S cycle mag2.jpg
      Last edited by duffeycycles; 05-23-2023, 09:37 AM.

Comment

tramp5.jpg

tramp3.jpg

trampbonnie.jpg

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-23-2023, 10:03 AM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Links:
          AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | George J. Smith Sr.
          GEORGE SMITH’S TRAMP - The Aftermarket Experience

Comment

In the '70s and my working in shops days there was a dual carb S&S conversion Pan that came in occasionally for minor work. The heads were beautiful. The S&S conversion blended the fins right out to the carb flanges and looked factory. Very fine work.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
              In the '70s and my working in shops days there was a dual carb S&S conversion Pan that came in occasionally for minor work. The heads were beautiful. The S&S conversion blended the fins right out to the carb flanges and looked factory. Very fine work.
              Needs work:

DUOSHEB1.jpg

......Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-23-2023, 08:16 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Here's a 1996 photo I took of a Mack motor at his home just down the road from the S&S factory near Viola, Wi. I like to think Perry had some influence on S&S motors. That's my modified 1986 Sportster in the background. I wonder where that motor is today? Years later I would move to Sabin, Wi. which is just 5 miles away.

There is a bracket attached to the heads to mount a fan which is run by the pulley below. It is a stationary motor that could have been used for many different purposes. I can't remember how I heard he had one.

Mack Airplane Motor.jpg

Comment

Slightly different pics, Folks,...

Un-cropped family pic:
                  George and family.jpg

And a second pose of Jerry's opening pic:
                  George and tramp2.jpg

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

A friend had many dual carb pan heads.As Robbie said you could tell the S&S from others by the quality of work.S&S was stamped on the ones he had.

Comment

Al Molenaar, owner of Southside Harley-Davidson (Chicago) and sponsor of the Tramp ended up with the bike after its racing days were over. He eventually sold his Dealership and the bike went with it. Here’s how the Tramp looked after sitting in a Wis. Barn for 20 years. I walked by that bike for another 20 years before it was finally sold to J. James. S&S said they wanted to buy it but started back peddling and J.J. stepped up and closed the deal.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

George's dual carb Panhead,was in Nov 2006 American Iron mag.
                        S&S says George built it in 1964.My old buddy said George rode it to see him in Iowa in '58 or '59
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                        X