No announcement yet.

Prototype OHV H-D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting back to the original topic; I sure wish Harley-Davidson had gone into production with the OHV 45. No one can say how that would have worked out in the marketplace, but it would have been great for future collectors. It was a beautiful motor, and would have been a lot of fun for hot-rodders, and performance junkies of the day. I guess from H-D's point of view, it would have been competition for their Big Twin OHVs, but then the Sportster built it's own following, and customer base. Tough decisions on the corporate level.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Their greed prevented them from asking the all-important questions. But then, Ford made the same mistake in 1958...

1. Major marketing rule still true after 100 years: if you build something new, its target must be people who otherwise would not buy your existing products.
      "Aside from existing and future owners of H-D twins, in 1937 their entire new market is current and future Indian Scout owners, the Chief is too expensive, the Crocker is much too expensive, and British imports don't have any presence yet. Will this work? It's more expensive than a good used car. Who would buy it, and why?"

2. Selling points for the new bike:
      "It has as nearly many parts as the big twin OHV (many of which never tested), atill needs development time and money, has lower power per pound, costs almost as much to build, requires its own line of service/maintenance/repair for dealers to stock, it's slower, and the price difference may not make it attractive."
      The Linkert Book

Comment

there were no problems with the first VL's

Sarcasm, I assume?
        The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
          fxcw64: This bike was for sale on Ebay 4 or 5 months ago, with the same listing info. I can't remember what it sold for, but it was not cheap ! I guess the buyer backed out or something.
          Craig
          I just talked to a friend about this bike. It sold, on Ebay, 5 or 6 months ago for about $140,000.00. Now this guy wants $250,000.00.
          Craig

Comment

I just talked to a friend about this bike. It sold, on Ebay, 5 or 6 months ago for about $140,000.00. Now this guy wants $250,000.00.
            Craig
            It’s my bike and it was back then also. And it never sold.

Comment

It’s one of those things if the price is right it’s for sale if not I wouldn’t mind keeping it (probably should Hold onto it)

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post

1. Major marketing rule still true after 100 years: if you build something new, its target must be people who otherwise would not buy your existing products.
                I don't know if I agree with that statement. People are generally very loyal to a brand, hence the popularity of Honda, Toyota, F-150s, McDonalds, etc. regardless of what new stuff they foist on the public. In regards to the OHV 45; I think H-D was glad to have gambled, and won with the 61" OHV but I don't think they were anxious to revisit that nerve wracking experience ahead of a war that everyone knew was coming. Again, I wish they had built it, but H-D obviously made the right decision to stay with the sidevalve 45.
                Last edited by exeric; 08-27-2019, 05:36 PM.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

If the buyer were going to buy an existing H-D product otherwise, the profit is limited to the difference between the OHV and what they were going to buy. If they were going to buy an EL they lose money.
                  If the buyer were not going to buy an H-D product, they sell one more bike. The profit is from a new sale, not the just the difference.
                  The Linkert Book

Comment

C'mon Folks,...

There's no way it could go into production with plumbing like that.

Awesome nonetheless!

Somebody should make a kit.

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-28-2019, 12:12 PM.
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Jdiesel25 View Post
                      It’s my bike and it was back then also. And it never sold.
                      Sorry Jdiesel25. This friend of mine and I talked about this machine when you had it for sale the first time. I couldn't remember if it sold or not. We thought that someone purchased it and was trying to turn it. Which would be a sin. And not that it's not worth every penny that you ask. Just the history is fun for us old Harley guys. I would insure it for what you are asking or more. It's not like you can find another one.
                      Craig

Comment

... We thought that someone purchased it and was trying to turn it. Which would be a sin......Just the history is fun for us old Harley guys. ..Craig
                        Would it be a sin, Craig,...

If somebody bought it for a pattern reference,

And entertained a world-wide market with some fun History?

Otherwise, it might as well be behind glass.

...Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Sorry Jdiesel25. This friend of mine and I talked about this machine when you had it for sale the first time. I couldn't remember if it sold or not. We thought that someone purchased it and was trying to turn it. Which would be a sin. And not that it's not worth every penny that you ask. Just the history is fun for us old Harley guys. I would insure it for what you are asking or more. It's not like you can find another one.
                          Craig
                          I have it insured. I figured I’d throw it out there if it brings a high number I’d sell it. If not I wouldn’t mind keeping it. It’s cool to look at

Comment

Picture. ..
                            Attached Files

Comment

Spaghettihead!

I love it.

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                                Spaghettihead!

I love it.

....Cotten
                                It’s crazy looking

Comment

Working...
                                X