46 Knuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46 Knuck

I just installed a new belt drive on my 46 Knucklehead because I’m so sick of the oil trail on my garage floor and when I take it to show it off at friends houses.
    When I did this I plugged the primary chain Oiler. So the first time I rode it after a couple of miles It started loosing a lot of oil on top of my front head dripping down the front exhaust and generator.
    Could this be from plugging the primary chain Oiler?

Flathead

You cannot plug the primary chain oiler because it is also the crankcase vent. You have to shut the oil off at the pump with the needle and then I reroute the crank case pipe to the rear chain.

Jerry

Originally posted by Flathead80 View Post
    I just installed a new belt drive on my 46 Knucklehead because I’m so sick of the oil trail on my garage floor and when I take it to show it off at friends houses.
    When I did this I plugged the primary chain Oiler. So the first time I rode it after a couple of miles It started loosing a lot of oil on top of my front head dripping down the front exhaust and generator.

Comment

I just installed a new belt drive on my 46 Knucklehead because I’m so sick of the oil trail on my garage floor and when I take it to show it off at friends houses....
      Flathead80!

Lets start with the natural bodily function called 'sumping'.
      That's when a machine isn't put to duty often enough, or far enough, to purge the cases of idle seepage past the ball check.

Do I understand you threw money at a belt drive just for a hygienic display?

It would have been cheaper 'n easier to drain the oil tank into a jug.

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-22-2019, 10:07 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

What Jerry said....

Comment

Beware also, Flathead80,

If you installed a seal upon the motor sprocket shaft for your belt-drive, now your cases can fill all the way up.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

Be very gentle when turning off the primary oiling screw. If you over tighten it you will break the seat and lose all control.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

This is starting to sound like a bad idea 46 knuck.
              #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Thank you Chris

Comment

I've had belt drives on several Panheads for years. Pulley alignment during installation is crucial to satisfactory belt life. Make sure you have enough play in the belt, as the pulleys swell up as they warm, tightening
                  belt tension. I haven't had a tin primary bike with a chain since the 70s, and would never go back.
                  VPH-D

Comment

Kevlar primary belt conversion is an unqualified blessing for the old Harley Big Twins. I've had a BDL "kickstart" converson on my UL for years; never had a hint of a problem. But yes, you do have to stop the primary oil at the needle valve on the gearcase on the other side. All that accumulates in the primary cover is black dust as the belt itself slowly (very slowly) deteriorates, but that's no prob. It's as smooth as can be...and quiet.

I live in the South, but found that belts have improved so much that extra venting of the primary isn't even necessary for the modern Kevlar belts. I've got thousands of miles on mine, and thousands to go with no signs failure. Don't get the belt TOO tight. Leave a little slack. Tight's bad for main bearing/trans mainshaft bearings. Good luck!
                    Last edited by Sargehere; 05-23-2019, 09:35 AM.
                    Gerry Lyons #607
                    http://www.37ul.com/
                    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Thanks for the support

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                        Kevlar primary belt conversion is an unqualified blessing for the old Harley Big Twins. I've had a BDL "kickstart" converson on my UL for years; never had a hint of a proble... . Good luck!
                        Like generations of American motorcycling needed belt-drives to become legendary and iconic, Folks?

What Flathead80 needed to do was ride the damn thing.

But now the pedantics praise a band-aid that doesn't solve sumping at all.

....Cotten
                        PS: I can't properly punish mine either, Folks.
                        Insurance has gotten out of hand....
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-24-2019, 04:24 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

But now the pedantics praise a band-aid that doesn't solve sumping at all.
                          If you had actually read his post you would have seen that he mentioned "closing off the oiler tube to the primary". This is also the crankcase breather tube on an OHV in case you forgot. It CANNOT be plugged off because it causes pressurizing of the case and correspondingly creates oil leaks at every surface, it must be open to the atmospher. So your commentary on sumping has nothing to do with his issue and your self righteous preaching does nothing but pronounce your ignorance and lack of comprehension of the issue. Get over yourself Tom.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                            If you had actually read his post you would have seen that he mentioned "closing off the oiler tube to the primary". This is also the crankcase breather tube on an OHV in case you forgot. It CANNOT be plugged off because it causes pressurizing of the case and correspondingly creates oil leaks at every surface, it must be open to the atmospher. So your commentary on sumping has nothing to do with his issue and your self righteous preaching does nothing but pronounce your ignorance and lack of comprehension of the issue. Get over yourself Tom.
                            Take a diva pill, Robbie, and "actually" read Flathead80's first post:
                            The 'oil trail' was coming out before he bought the belt.

You know damn well they all sump to some degree, but if it is ridden, you don't see it.

With a sprocket shaft seal, the cases can fill, and then its going to make a mess when the motor is finally started, plugged breather or not!

....Cotten
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-25-2019, 08:03 AM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                            X