Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vin and belly#

hi there,
    this is from a bike on ebay now. belly# should start 42- as the vin# is 42xxxx....
    is this restamped? or common factry matter?

s-l1600.jpg
    Attached Files

I think this case is original. It is not uncommon to find previous year belly # on low VIN # cases. Jerry

Comment

thanks Jerry,
      any opinion about the 42 on ebay?

Comment

Horrible re-stamp
        The Linkert Book

Comment

Not a re-stamp - all late 41 to 43 cases have the streaks in the vin. jerry

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
          Horrible re-stamp

Comment

this is from a bike on ebay now. belly# should start 42- as the vin# is 42xxxx....
            is this restamped? or common factry matter?
            42EL1534 is factory stamped.
            Bikes built in early September use cases line bored and stamped in August.

Comment

Perfect '42 numbers. All known originals look just like that.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Numbers look good to me, and I seen a few.
                #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

You mean the grinding marks, where the pad thickness is reduced? LOL
                  The Linkert Book

Comment

I see no re-stamp, 'horrible' or otherwise. What I see on the SN boss are sometimes called striations and they are common with Knucks for 42 and some other years. They aren’t always there but they appear often enough and it’s something that has been mentioned many times on forums. In fact this bike in particular was discussed on CAI in September 2016.
                    Sometimes the striations are more pronounced than on this bike and sometimes less. At times you’ll find them more through the middle of the boss and/or along the bottom edge.
                    On occasion you’ll find what looks like a recess below the decade 4 and I’ve seen close-ups of it on a few engines.

I can't see anything wrong with the SN characters and they all appear consistent with factory types for a 42 Knuckle.

Re the BN, it’s the second highest 41 I’ve seen for a Knuckle. It’s not uncommon to find previous year BNs on cases with a low SN from the next year, as mentioned above. I can’t see anything wrong with the BN characters and they all appear consistent with factory types for 41.
                    Eric

Comment

thank you all for good information!!

Comment

Here is my 1942 FL vin. Jerry
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X