Knuckle Extrernal Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob,
    I assume that the OEM bracket is shown in the photo? The bracket that I have from Ted looks nothing like that. I can see that tweaking the OEM bracket shown would be quite easy. Tweaking the VTwin bracket that I have simply won't work as its way too short. Might you know the whereabouts of another OEM bracket?

Also, I can see how close your filter is to the air cleaner and how the housing is turned counterclockwise (looking from the top) to allow a better alignment of the inlet oil line. Good information...

Finally, is the inlet fitting to the filter drilled straight in (vertically) or is it angled slightly toward the oil pump? Mine is angled and I don't know if that's original or if someone messed the thread up at some point.

Thanks!

Originally posted by bobphd View Post
    Bill, I run this filter setup on 3 of my bikes. 2 are OEM brackets and 1 is a teds repop. All 3 brackets I had to a little tweaking to get the filter in the right spot and angle. Actually less on the repop than the originals. I tryed using Dennis Corsos lines but like you found them just a little short. I bought line from McMaster Carr, bent it to the exact shape and length and then had it cad plated. The filter does have to be in a pretty exact spot And if you are running chrome stack covers as on my 47 it is difficult to get it right. Bob
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

IMG_0018.jpgBill, Here's the teds repop bracket on my 46. I assume it is teds as I bought a complete repop filter set up from Penny . The bracket is almost identical to the oem. Also s a top view of the filter, hopefully it is not upside down also. I believe Dennis Corso will make you longer lines if you don't want to do it yourself. I spent a couple of days fitting the filter on my 47 but the 46 went easy as I made an extra set of lines. I don't have any more or know where an oem bracket is available. Bob
      IMG_0017.jpg

Comment

Bob,

Your pictures tell the complete story. The Ted's repop bracket that I have is significantly different than the one you show, as it closely resembles the OEM brackets. Looks like I'll stick with the one I've fabricated.

After further work yesterday, it appears that my filter is now positioned almost identically to yours, although maybe a tad higher. This is no surprise, as there isn't much room for deviation. I also contacted Dennis Corso and he will make longer oil lines for me, although he hasn't given me a time span or price yet. I'm adding 1/2" to each straight leg of the 'S' line and 1/2" to the top end of the longer line.

Also, I'm impressed by the job that you did in bending the tubing. I noticed that your bend radii are a little wider than the OEM and repop machine-bent lines which makes sense, as the minimum bend radius for 3/8" tubing is slightly under 1", which looks like what you have. What also makes sense is that the OEM oil lines all have a little flattening at the tight bends because the minimum radius is exceeded. Given the rate of oil flow, this is not a problem. What impresses me is that when I bend my tubing with my hand-held bender (at a 1" radius) it marks up (dimples) the lines significantly, but yours are smooth at the minimum radius bends. What type of tubing bender did you use?

Thanks again for the pictures - they're a big help and verified some of my concerns. Now to get this darn knucklehead off the lift, running again and start final assembly of my XLCH !!

Originally posted by bobphd View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]19724[/ATTACH]Bill, Here's the teds repop bracket on my 46. I assume it is teds as I bought a complete repop filter set up from Penny . The bracket is almost identical to the oem. Also s a top view of the filter, hopefully it is not upside down also. I believe Dennis Corso will make you longer lines if you don't want to do it yourself. I spent a couple of days fitting the filter on my 47 but the 46 went easy as I made an extra set of lines. I don't have any more or know where an oem bracket is available. Bob
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]19725[/ATTACH]
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Here's my bending tools but it may be more the tubing that I got from McMasterCarr don't recall exactly what it is but they got pretty much everything. BobIMG_0019.jpg

Comment

Well, I finally got the filter mounted and it looks great. I emailed back and forth with Dennis Corso who made up a couple of sets of filter lines to my specified lengths and after some tweaking and cutting, they worked out fine. By the way, Dennis is a pleasure to work with.....

I fabricated the bracket from 1/4" thick, A-36 steel, heat-bent it and parkerized it.

I'm surprised how much work this actually was just to get this thing looking right. I originally figured a couple of hours to mount an old oil filter that found in one of my boxes. It actually took a couple of working days to get it to look (almost) dealership-original. In the end, I think it was worth the work.

Now I can finally get back to the XLCH!

I've at ached some pictures (If I did it correctly)...

DSCN4185.jpgDSCN4180.jpgDSCN4181.jpgDSCN4189.jpg
            Last edited by billpedalino; 06-11-2017, 08:06 AM.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

If you still plan on getting the bike judged Bill, you will take a hit on the filter. Even though accessories are not judged for correctness, they are judged for time period and an accessory that did not yet exist is a strike.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

For judging an accessory is something added that does not replace an original part.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I appreciate the information. As Chris stated, I was informed beforehand by the judges that accessories are not judged as long as they don't violate an original part or function. But I would take the hit anyway - I just like the way it looks and the fact that it helps keep the oil cleaner and cooler.
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                  X