Paint for knucklehead exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint for knucklehead exhaust

Does anyone have a suggestion on black heat paint for the exhaust on a knucklehead? Wondering if there are any types that is generally used.

Thanks
    Eric Hitzel
    AMCA 14954

I've started using Black Velvet from the makers of POR-15. It's outstanding.

I despise POR-15. But all the things that make that 'paint' worthless for restoration, seem to make their exhaust paint excellent.

It's not cheap. But one little can will do 2 exhausts. It will smoke, smell a bit on first startup. Then bake on nicely.

There are other alternatives... BBQ aerosol paint works fine. From hardware store. Flat black/grey and looks right. And there are some heat paints you can get for blocks/engines, etc. But the Black Velvet seems to be the best I've found.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

I've used Bill Hirsch's Space Age Black, a 1600 Deg. black, with good results. The color appears to hold after heating. The Black Velvet reads like a great solution to painting exhaust systems!

http://www.hirschauto.com/EXHAUST-AN...T-SPRAY/BLACK/

William
      William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
      http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

I've used the paint for barbeque grills, in both silver and flat black, with great results and you can get it most anywhere.

Comment

I would use barbeque black from Walmart because it's probably cheaper than anywhere else. A knuck is going to spew a lot of goo, and then cooking it onto the header pipes, so you'll be touching it up many times. It's been many years since I've owned a knuck, but I remember the headers always looked bad.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
          X