frame (re) work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame (re) work

I just wanted to share some pics. I used a mill, lathe, 110v mig welder, die grinder, file, small needle scaler, and a coarse wire wheel.

P9100511.jpgP9110512.jpgP9140515.jpgP9140514.jpgP9150517.jpg

Impressive work, nice save!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Very nice work! I really like the scroll on the axle carriers. Imagine going down and that thing catching you in the kidneys. Guest they went along with the Dave Man poster "Ride Hard, Die Fast" Yuk. Bob L
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Beautiful work. The sidecar lugs look perfect.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks, not bad for an amature. I didn't want to hurt my arm patting myself on the back but I was really happy with the way this turned out. There is still a lot that you can do for yourself if you take some time. And if you dont like how it came out, just grind it off and redo it.

Comment

Very nice work! It just goes to show, with some imagination and a lot of elbow grease, you can still build a presentable ride without spending a large fortune.

Comment

Nice job new guy! Did you make a tracing of an unmodified axle plate to go by?...Mike

Comment

Did you use the V-Twin replacement parts? I have used their sidecar lugs with great success.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

For the sidecar loops I turned my own. I cut a 5 degree draft each side of center and left enough stock to work in a parting line. It doesn't run on an angle like a real one but I think it still looks good. I got the dimensions from an early shovel frame. There was enough of the hole left on my frame to locate them. I used an old print of a panhead frame for the axle plates. There were no dimensions so I just scaled the best I could and went with that. You could use an original frame to make a template. The template ( piece of sheet metal ) is located using the 9/16" holes. I turned down 5/8" bolts to pin it to the frame. Then the pieces are bolted to it for welding. It works for both sides and turned upside down it locates the chain gaurd tab. Thanks for all the interest

Comment

Oops, I meant the exhaust mounting tab.

Comment

Yes, very nice. I believe that doing this sort of stuff on your own is very rewarding.
                      Regards,
                      Rob Sigond
                      AMCA # 1811

Comment

Working...
                      X