Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1936 and up springer rear leg - how were they made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 and up springer rear leg - how were they made?

It has been my opinion for a long time that the legs started out as the diameter of the very upper part - about 1" thick walled tubing. Somehow they would swedge from the inside and slowly work the diameter up to the biggest part and end with a piece that looked like an old time lamp post. Then this 'lamp post' was put into a punch press and given its' ovalness and the upper offset.

Then this leg was assembled into a unit with the main cross brace and furnace brazed together.

In the mid 70's there was an abandoned 30's vintage brass lamp factory next to the repair shop I run in a small Wisconsin town and some of the equipment for making the brass lamp posts was still in the place. I talked to the old timer that owned the building and he had worked at the factory until it closed in the early 50's after it went bankrupt. According to him they used the exact procedure for their lamps that I just described above.

Tonite I just re-enforced that thought of mine from the first paragraph. I was just going to finish mocking up yet another springer that I was welding the lower legs back on when I noticed something curious. Looking down the lower leg with a flashlight I could see tool mark shadows. This springer leg is a post war WL.

Hopefully it shows up as good in the pictures as it did with a light. I cannot really fell these marks with my finger but then again it is a bit rusty.

Here is the section of leg in question.

These next pictures show the tool marks that I described.

I know some people are of the idea that the tubing started out at the big diameter and was worked to the small but these pictures tell me different. I also believe that HD did it by the method I described for another reason. All old blacksmiths and metal workers were very familiar with what happens to a lot of metals when they have been worked or hammered. They become not only denser but also stronger - more tensile strength. I think that this was one of their ideas behind the design of the rear legs in the first place.

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 03-31-2014, 09:45 PM.

Sadly AMF tossed and the instructions that tell how old parts were made. They kept blueprints but tossed the how to's.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

What procedure is used to make modern aftermarket legs, and what procedure is used to make say 1990's HD Springer model legs?
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
        What procedure is used to make modern aftermarket legs, and what procedure is used to make say 1990's HD Springer model legs?
        Bob, I recall reading an article about H-D's re-introduction of the springer back in the 90s. The article said H-D brought in a long retired worker who worked in the frame and fork dept. and he told them how it was done back in the day. Of course they didn't go into any detail. It hurts my head to think about how H-D did a lot of things. J era handlebars are the most incredible piece of engineering I've seen as they start out as one piece of flat stock. There were some smart, talented artists back in those days.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I don't recall where, but I remember reading or hearing it took 14 swaging operations to form the legs. Perhaps it was the '38 tour book. Chris?

Comment

Working...
          X