1947 el knuclehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 el knuclehead

So from what I've read here the correct springer for a 47 knucklehead would be an offset correct?

Yes, that is correct. And technically a first generation offset with no hole in the stem for a steering lock.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks a bunch Rubone....Any idea what is the best way or where to find one

Comment

Ebay and AMCA meets, thanks, Larry

Comment

Anybody heard of a process where an inline springer being converted to an offsett. I was told a company specializing in frame restoration offered this modification. Thanks for any help in advance

Comment

You can always tell a front end that has this modification done to it because the profile of the center bridge is different on an offset front end. Find one or run a repop until you do.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
              You can always tell a front end that has this modification done to it because the profile of the center bridge is different on an offset front end. Find one or run a repop until you do.

Jerry
              Jerry & Donzie here is a visual of the center bridge profile of an offset rigid leg.

DSCN1908.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by DONZIE View Post
                Anybody heard of a process where an inline springer being converted to an offsett. I was told a company specializing in frame restoration offered this modification. Thanks for any help in advance
                Why bother trying to make an inline into something it is not ?It still will not pass the scrutiny of some judges.If it's the handling your concerned about the difference is minimal. Sell your inline and buy a47 or 48 springer.BTW you could post a wanted to trade ad on this board and others! Someone may have the offset and need your inline. JMO John

Comment

From what you guys are saying I'm not gonna go the modification...I'm looking for a real nice offset & am willing to pay...I have a request in the wanted section...one will turn up ...thanks guys

Comment

Two reasons not to convert:

The lower tree on an offset is also offset 1/8" in the opposite direction, an inline is not. This doubles the effective derake angle.

If you offset an inline, the bottom plate is no longer perpendicular to the stem and you will break the steering damper over time by flexing it on turns.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                      Yes, that is correct. And technically a first generation offset with no hole in the stem for a steering lock.
                      But is you find one with the hole no one will ever see it.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                      X