1947 FL Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 FL Question

High high did the serial numbers go for a 47 FL? Book says they made roughly 6900 FL's and I got 47FL85XX. Thanks.
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Mine is 12028, getting close to the end. Keep in mind that numbers run in engine families, so ELs, Es, and Fs, are included in the sequential counts.
    Last edited by Rubone; 12-31-2012, 05:48 PM.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Got a Knuckle did ya Louie? Congrats!!!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Louie, you are stepping up, eh? Any pics to post?
        Lonnie Campbell #9908
        South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Had it for probably 10 years, got everything but a frame and forks, sold the extended forks that came with it. Engine is rebuilt but think I'll put it in an late model Indian frame along with he tranny. Going to make the perfect 40's bike with the better riding Indian chassis and Knuklehead motor and tranny. Got some engineering to do but should be worth it. Any comments on that?
          Louie
          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Oh boy... has that idea been in the works for awhile or was it conjured on New Year's Eve???
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Hey Louie,
              This is the first of January, not the first of April!
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                Oh boy... has that idea been in the works for awhile or was it conjured on New Year's Eve???
                2013 isn't looking to be a good year for me so I thought what the h.

Been thinking about it for a couple years, mentioned it to a few people and got comments like "why turn a perfectly good Knucklehead into a queer bike?" among other such comments. I'm sure we've all seen the Vincent in the Indian chassis and to me that just doesn't look good. My idea, without taking any kind of measurements, is graft the bottom half of a Harley frame to the top half of an Indian frame which I understand will require lots of modifications but would create all the proper mounting required for the motor and tranny. The rear wheel would need to be flipped over and the rear brake actuation figured out. Of course I would keep the left hand throttle/right hand shift if the linkages could be worked out and definitely the Indian tanks and fenders.

January 1st...April 1st...all the same to me.....
                Louie
                YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Knuck with Indian frame grafted on rear. Molenaar H-D 1970's

Comment

That's what I'm talking about. Except I'm going all the way and will use an Indian girder fork.
                    Louie
                    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Well Louie... how many restored Knuckleheads are there? Lots 'em I reckon.... If an Indian guy can put a 4 banger in a Duo-Glide frame ( I've got a photo somewhere, just not handy) then if it's your perogative to Milwaukee power Springfield iron I say... fly at it man... you will not likely be passing any look alikes on the road and I doubt you'll start a trend. Chop and be merry! Errrr.... now I'm gonna step away from the computer and see if I can borrow a flack jacket....
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Your right, lots of '47 Knuckles and Chiefs around. I will be passing look alike Indians.....once in fourth gear!
                        Louie
                        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I think as long as you use screwed up frames, and orphaned parts, you're just putting another bike on the road (i.e. and an interesting one at that).
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

I know one thing for sure Louie. You'll be able to have fun with folks telling a story around it. It's really gonna freak out the antique crowd!! Thanks for the warning....
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Keep in mind Louie, that it has to be really done well, or it just becomes another bad idea. Specials are only special if they work....
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X