No announcement yet.

1947 FL Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a firm believer that everything on a bike must work as designed or better. All my current bikes are 100% functional as will be anything I have in the future. I've seen to many nice (dare I say Winner Circle) bikes that half the stuff on them were not functional. I think the judging should go back to having to ride the bikes for a few miles before they are judged, boy wouldn't that shake up the judging.
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

This was the last Knuckle built (until someone proves otherwise)!!!
      47 High Number.jpg

Comment

Louie,
        I read your post about combining the knucklehead and Indian.... it jogged my memory and I called a friend this afternoon who had done something similar in the late '60s. He grafted the rear section of the Indian plunger frame on the Harley straightleg frame but left the front frame section all Harley except that he grafted the Indian neck on the frame and ran the post war chief girder which he liked better than the Harley springer. Unfortunately he never took any pictures of it but I would think it would be similar to the pic posted earlier in this thread. As far as the rear wheel goes, my friend said that he used a Harley rear wheel to go with the Harley transmission and all he ended up doing was making a spacer or spacers to run the Harley hub in the slightly wider Indian rear frame. Anyhow, good luck.
        Mike
        Mike Carver
        AMCA #3349

Comment

Originally posted by knuckleheadtim View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]10249[/ATTACH]
          I have seen 47 knuckle VIN numbers as high as 1265*
          Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Originally posted by mcarver View Post
            Louie,
            I read your post about combining the knucklehead and Indian.... it jogged my memory and I called a friend this afternoon who had done something similar in the late '60s. He grafted the rear section of the Indian plunger frame on the Harley straightleg frame but left the front frame section all Harley except that he grafted the Indian neck on the frame and ran the post war chief girder which he liked better than the Harley springer. Unfortunately he never took any pictures of it but I would think it would be similar to the pic posted earlier in this thread. As far as the rear wheel goes, my friend said that he used a Harley rear wheel to go with the Harley transmission and all he ended up doing was making a spacer or spacers to run the Harley hub in the slightly wider Indian rear frame. Anyhow, good luck.
            Mike
            Thanks Mike, I would love to have seen pictures of that bike. Harley rear wheel seems like the way to go, like you said would just have to space it and work out the brake. I'll take plenty of pictures.
            Louie
            FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
            Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Originally posted by knuckleheadtim View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]10249[/ATTACH]
              I have seen higher numbers.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

This conjures up images of the knuckle I saw in Daytona a few years ago that had an Indian transmission.....
                Lonnie Campbell #9908
                South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

I'm sure there were higher numbers than the one I posted, but It's the highest I'm aware of.

Comment

To my way of thinking, the Harley Knuckle is the best looking motorcycle engine ever. Likewise, the late (1945-48) Indian girder fork is the most attractive motorcycle fork ever made. You might end up with a good-looking bike. We would all love to see pictures when you are done.
                    George Tinkham
                    Springfield, IL
                    www.virmc.com
                    AMCA # 1494
                    1941 Indian 841
                    1948 Indian Chief
                    1956 H-D KHK
                    1960 CH
                    1964 BMW R69S
                    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

No way George. 37 UL. The sexiest motorsickle ever made! Bob L
                      AMCA #3149
                      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Best looking Harley? Any Knucklehead. Best looking Indian? Any Four. Between both companies? 38-39 Four or 36 Knuckle? I can't pick one. Can you?? Let the battle begin. LOL
                        Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 03-17-2013, 04:48 PM.
                        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
                        X