Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing rod races

Hi.
    I am about to replace the rod races at a 1920 model 61´ engine. The new rod races I got does not have the opening for oil to flow into the bearings. Should the new ones be grinded to be like the old races?
    Also, instruction following the new races says to hone the rods before pressing in the races, and to hone the races after installing them. Is the reason for this to clean the surfaces or is it for adjusting tolerances for pressfit and clearance of bearing?

Regards, Stein-S
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I ground some oil holes in the new races after i pressed them in and before i honed the races. Don't know how to hone them before fitting, very hard to hold,

Comment

Thank you for answering my question.
      Regards, Stein-S

Comment

Originally posted by Stein.S View Post
        ....Also, instruction following the new races says to hone the rods before pressing in the races, and to hone the races after installing them. Is the reason for this to clean the surfaces or is it for adjusting tolerances for pressfit and clearance of bearing?...
        Have you measured the interference, Stein?

Rod bores can stretch out of round, and if the races are oversized, this can be corrected before installation.

...Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hi. Thanks for answering. I have not pressed out the old races yet, so do not know if rods are out of round. But will measure that. Good idea.
          Regards, Stein-S

Comment

Working...
          X