Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetor options 1919

Hi.
    My Schebler Hx-160 is in real bad condition. I am concidering buying a Linkert M-18. For me it is not a option to mount a modern carburetor, but if the carb is a carb that belongs to the era where the bike was used, I think its ok. What I want is a carb that works good. That I can trust when starting the engine cold, half warm and warm…..a carb that works well when adjusted. Never had the engine running with the Schebler, but after what I have been told the Linkert M-18 is supposed to be a much better carb…..?
    Do any of you have any experience with this? Will the M-18 fit directly into the bolt pattern of the 1" manifoil? Info I found tell me it will?
    I see there is replicas of M-88 for sale. Will they work with a home made adaptor? Give more power?
    Any other ideas for carb when originality is not very important?
    See there is a lot of carbs for snowblowers that have the "right look". Will they work? Did anyone try?
    attatching a photo of a 25´ I have been working on and driving during the last year. Its not mine. There someone back in the days mounted a Bing 24mm carb. Nice job. Works perfect. Starts at first kick. No problems at all. I am considering this solution, but would be nice if the look was a little more like the original carb…

Fun thing: The 25´ had been stored since the 60ˋs. Found out when getting it running again that the gas handlebar worked in opposite direction. Owner, now 79 years old could not even remember that it was an issue…..he was in his early 20ˋs when driving it, and in that age you easy reprogram your brain for adapting to everything….. My test drive with that solution was like hell….. Made a new handlebar with opposite slide to not kill myself when driving it

Best regards
    Stein-S
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Any 1" Model M or 1" DLX should bolt right up, Stein-S,...

But you will still need to get it in order as well; Linkerts are certainly easier to refurbish.

The reproductions currently on the market are 1¼" Models, and have their own issues.

"Right look" is entirely in your own eye!

....Cotten
    PS: Literature suggests the DLX12 might even be "correct":
    dlx12a.JPG
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-20-2023, 07:51 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

M-16 or M-18 are 1" but your point about same era is incorrect.Those are 1930s & later carbs.Many Cannonball riders use them because they work well.

Comment

Hi. Thank you for reply. By same era I mean the periode of time this bikes was used. Like the 25´ in the pictures has a carb somebody fitted when the bike was still in regular use. That Bing carb was used on BMW R4 which were a bike from the late 30ˋs. So a carb that looks to be from 40´s and 50´s I think is ok on the 19ˋ model. A Mikuni is not an option…. Sent a message to a seller of a M18. Seems like an ok choice then

Comment

This is what I did, and the parts I made to make a Linkert clear the crazy overhead linkage on my 1916J.

jcc.JPGjcb.JPG

Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

I forgot to thank BigLakeBob for giving me the Linkert
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              This is what I did, and the parts I made to make a Linkert clear the crazy overhead linkage on my 1916J.
              Did you reverse the bowl for clearance, too, Eric?

Thanks,

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Nice to get an idea about how to mount the carburetor. Thanx. Bougt a M18 from ebay yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Did you reverse the bowl for clearance, too, Eric?

Thanks,

....Cotten
                  I didn't do that, Tom. I'll look at that when I get back into that 'project'; thanks for the tip. It's been sitting due to low compression and who knows how evil that will get.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Hope your gasline reaches, Eric!

And hope assembly didn't damage the float (It happens.)

Bowlposition2.jpg (M741s are also a 1" Model.)

The whole point of the offset was to miss the bowlstem...

BWLCHRT.jpg

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-21-2023, 10:40 AM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Thanx for photos and explanation about the float and the offset. Was dealing with mounting the M18 yesterday. Would never think about it as a problem turning the bowl around. Now the float position is changed, and the float moves free with bowl in almost opposite direction.

Comment

Working...
                      X