Help! Schebler Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Schebler Leaking

I'm looking for advice as the Schebler carb on my '17F is weeping fuel out of the air inlet tube at the bottom of the float bowl. I've checked to see if the float needle is sealing by applying a small vacuum at the fuel inlet and all seems ok. The float is set slightly lower than the 19/32" prescribed. Question ... if the fuel level in the bowl is still too high can fuel find its way out past the needle valve seat and down the air inlet tube? The 19/32" was from the top of the bowl to the top of the float. Is there a specific measurement from the top of the bowl to the actual fuel level? The cork float has been replaced at some point with a synthetic one.

Thanks

I feel your pain, JDonaldson,..

The only way to check a float valve is to turn it all upside-down, and suck upon it.
    Most valve needles are worn beyond the float lever's ability to be bent; The best needle replacements, with true Monel, ain't cheap, nor widely available. The rest vary widely.

Your float setting should be by the book, unless your float doesn't float. (Did I cut one for you, or is it one of the molded boat anchors?)

Measuring the fuel level in the bowl is not as easy as it sounds!

SITGLS13.jpg

.....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-27-2021, 11:35 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Mr. Cotten,
      It's been so long I honestly cannot remember who I got the float from. So at tis point I guess I'm looking to source one of yours if still available. Also, any hints on where to procure the monel needle would be great.

Comment

If you are in New Jersey, it may be one of mine, J!

It would look porous because it is machined, not smooth and shiny like molded.

And I'm not certain my source of needles is still available; Things have changed a lot in the last year....

.....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Definitely not smooth and shiny so it might be one of yours. Back to one of my original questions do you think its possible with too high of a float (fuel) level the gas might drain back past the jet and needle and exit out the bottom air inlet?
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by jdonaldson View Post
            Definitely not smooth and shiny so it might be one of yours. Back to one of my original questions do you think its possible with too high of a float (fuel) level the gas might drain back past the jet and needle and exit out the bottom air inlet?
            I don't think so, J!

It looks pretty smooth, and you need a real pivotnut/screw to prevent damage...

PIVOTNUT.jpg

The HXs used one with a .406" shank;
            (DLXs and cork-float Linkerts used a .359" shank. Somewhere around 1950, the "Armstrong" floats were introduced with a return to the .406" shank,)
            The hex is retained in the notch upon the bottom of the float, and the screw should then squeeze the float slightly before the lever bottoms out firmly upon the shank.

If your float weighs more like nine grams than three, it alone is enough to cause grief.
            Does it only drool when the petcock is open?

....Cotten
            PS: Please feel free to email me direct at Liberty@npoint.net...
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-27-2021, 02:54 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
            X