• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can help with some JDH inside pictures
    http://www.harley-memories.com
    http://harley8valves.wordpress.com/
    AMCA Membership#5701

Comment

Guys, I didn't realise how little I knew about the JDs compared with the VLs, and there were many changes over the 15 model years we are looking at. I've restored a 1918 and a 1928 as riders, but 'points bikes' for judging are a different ball game. I don't want to copy a fragile original parts book, but could do with a recommendation for a reprint earlier than the 1922-26 one I have. You know how Harley airbrushed out some technical change by superseding parts and retrofitting them in the newer parts books.

The book breaks down into three sections. First mostly text about the business environment, models and production numbers, and general buying and restoration advice. I'm OK with this. Next two full page photos per model year plus major changes from the sales brochures. Some pictures are missing or poor quality, but the text is probably pretty close now. The third section runs through major assemblies roughly in part number order, with more technical detail and color photos of each part changed, and here's where I'm struggling. I can't even write a list of changes for many of the sections, and could use help here. Email me at vlheaven@aol.com if you'd like to contribute, and then I can search out the photos and write text around them.

It's more work than I thought but will be good when finished. It's 30 years since Jerry Hatfield wrote Inside Harley-Davidson, and the pictures are all black and white and from a technical writer rather than a Harley restorer. All my coffee table books with JD pictures in them are 20 years old, and feature restored bikes that may not pass muster today with AMCA judges.

If you have any contacts on social media, perhaps you can ask them, but in the mean time any help is much appreciated.

Comment

20210308_070821.jpg

Steve, this is one of the reference parts books i use.

Comment

Thank you Mick, the reference is much appreciated.

Comment

Steve, this is a picture of a 1916 pedal block H-D P.N. EG-662. One year only, and this particular pedal is NOS, courtesy of Tommo. I probably won't use it as it is hard as a rock, and wouldn't take much abuse. I just love looking at it

pedal 16.JPG
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks to everybody who has helped, and we are now about half way through. I'm still looking for pictures of good 1917, 1918 and 1922 bikes if you know of any. Email vlheaven@aol.com if you would like to involved.

Comment

Dear All, Matt at Wheels Through Time is stepping in with some good 1917 and 1918 bike pictures, so that leaves only 1922. Are there any good 1922 pocket valve twins out there where the owner can supply pictures? If so, many thanks, and all contributions will be acknowledged.

Comment

Dear All, Eric was right when he said this was a big undertaking. The book is now about 260 pages and we are about three-quarters through. I'm still looking for pictures of a good 1917 bike, but contributions of pictures or info from 25 other AMCA members means we are nearly at the finishing straight. Thanks to all. We are still on for a mid-year completion, and I'll let you all know when it's ready.

Comment

Thanks for all of your efforts, Steve. Herculean comes to mind, but we all know the J series has been skipped over by most historians because there is so much there (possibly too much.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Steve,
                      I have information on the different changes made to transmissions during the twenties, if you need it.
                      Cheers

Comment

Dear All, I picked up the new JD book from the printers yesterday and it looks good! 220 pages with 130 in colour, including 39 full page pictures of good restored and unrestored 1915-29 Harley twins. Replicant Metals are distributing in the USA and Canada, with VL Heaven for the rest of the world. Get those orders in soon! Thanks to the 25 other AMCA members who provided technical info and photos.

Comment

Dear All, if you have unsigned copies of the JD book I should beat Oley Stand 28 this weekend to sign them for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X