No announcement yet.

1917 Tank Lettering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter, they work for me, thanks for posting!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

The artist's renditions in brochures are sometimes off. Original bikes and photos usually are a better source. As someone mentioned, once the pockets in tank debuted (1913 single/ 1915 twin), the "avidson" moved upwards. I haven't seen evidence of that on orig paint bikes.

Most op bikes thru 1916, that I have seen, have had the "avidson" in the down position. I don't recall seeing an original paint bike with it up on the right side. In 1917, I think the "avidson" moved up. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. But, as Tommo mentioned, the 1916 single shows it up. That is a rare bike, and I don't have pictures. I do of a 15 single and twin... both sides down on both bikes.
      Last edited by silentgreyfello; 01-24-2021, 12:36 PM.

Comment

This is embarrassing for me after bloviating about what I thought I knew about early Js. I actually owned an O.P. 1917 J back in the mid 1980s so I should have referred to these pictures I took, (memory is the second thing to go with age). My 1917 did have the "avidson" up on the right side tank. Silentgreyfello is one of the most astute observers of early bikes (most all American makes) in our club. I always pay attention when he makes a comment.

17harley.jpg17harley3.jpg
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I never cease to prove what a dumbass I am, Notice both left, and right side tanks have the "avidson" in the 'up' position. I have to wonder if the H-D paint dept. did what was expedient, and available before WW1, and used what decals were available (who knows?). Also notice the gear cover has the later generator boss, and the cylinders are pre-1916. Also has the rear hand brake option. This bike had an interesting history as it was acquired from a funeral home. It was given as payment to the funeral home owner by an African American Father, for the burial of his Son, sad deal but we all have priorities. . . . Why on Earth did I Iet this bike get away ?
          Last edited by exeric; 01-24-2021, 05:32 PM.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, Don't beat yourself up for forgetting something. It's a daily thing for me. I think, like most businesses, HD used up inventories, coupled with the human element of different ideas. Nothing is written in gospel!

Comment

But, yes, you shoulda kept the J model!

Comment

I looked thru all of my photos and do not have a picture of an original paint 1917. Many pics of 1915 and earlier OP bikes, which all have the avidson in the lower position, even with the valve pockets. I would go with what Peter's brochure and Eric's bike show, up on the left side, flip a coin on the right? I will effort a picture of an Op 17

Comment

1917 OP machine on mecum auction 2018
                  "avidson" is up both sides. I didn't see this in person, but looks legit in photos.
                  https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0118-31...ey-davidson-j/
                  Screenshot_20210125-130328_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210125-130233_Chrome.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X