1917 Tank Lettering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1917 Tank Lettering

Need help determining the appropriate tank lettering style for my 1917. Below are 2 screenshots of an original 1916 which show different styles for the left an right sides. Is this correct for 1917?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

My parts books show two P.N.s for 1908-1932. P.N. 5917-08 red center, and P.N. 5917-08A gold center. I'm not aware of any difference in standard production decals in size, other colors, or fonts. There were racing, and promotional decals that were larger, and different in font, and style. I have also read that there were aftermarket decals, but I don't believe I have ever seen period decals on an old repaint. Genuine H-D decals from the era you have inquired about are very rare, and close to impossible to apply. They were not a water slide decal as we know today. They were applied to a 'sized' surface similar to the way gold leaf is applied. In regards to the 2 pictures you posted, I don't see any difference other than the condition of the tanks.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I should have said, current aftermarket decals look correct in color, and size, but they are thicker than the 'decals' H-D used; so, if you clear coat a modern decal, it will have that minuscule 3-D effect of being higher than the field under it. Harley coated the decals with a copal varnish to seal the edges from abrasion, and humidity. Otherwise, their decals didn't look higher than the surface they were on top of. We will never see that quality of printing, and decal making again as that seems to be another art that was lost to progress.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I guess I should have been clearer about the differences I see. The left side has the "avidson" letters justified to the bottom of the D. The right side has those letters raised up and justified to the top of the D. Since these tanks are absolutely original paint does this scheme also follow for 1917?

Comment

You are absolutely correct, jdonaldson. It looks like that oddity ended in 1916. In looking at the pictures I've collected, it appears that H-D did that so they could center the decal within the tank and border striping but due to the rocker arm cut-outs in the right side tank they had to raise the 'avidson' letters to the top of the capital 'D'. However, they seemed to be inconsistent with those decals in a number of years up to 1916. But, it looks like the 1917 and later H-Ds used identical decals and just pushed the right side decal up to clear the cut-out. My hat is off to you J.D. You have a good eye and I apologize for questioning your observation. This is another example of internal factory knowledge that is probably lost to time, but can be seen in careful observation as you have shown.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

At the risk of exposing my denseness, I'm still not clear on which you think appropriate for the 1917, elevated "avidson" or not?
            Thanks for your patience!
            Jim Donaldson

Comment

It looks like 1917 and later used the elevated 'avidson' script. It's funny how I'll re-read what I write numerous times and think, that sounds good, and then 2 hours later I'll read it again and think, that's just dumb Sorry for the confusion, JIm.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

This interested me and a look in the 1917 Sales Brochure shows the right side with the raised and the left side with the lower script.
                To me it appears that those original paint tanks you posted pictures of in your first post are factory correct if you believe what you see in that factory brochure.
                I have yet to figure out how to post pictures on this new site so sorry no pictures from the 17 Sales Brochure.
                Maybe someone that has a 17 Brochure and is more computer savvy than me can put the appropriate photos up.
                Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                A.M.C.A. # 2777
                Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Trying to attach pictures from the 17 sales brochure 1917 HD right side0001.jpg1917 HD left side0001.jpg
                  A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Wow it worked.
                    Maybe I'm not too old to learn
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Exeric, Tommo ... Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Jim, I wish I could have been more help, but Peter came up with the perfect visual answer with the 1917 brochure. I did enjoy the research, and the hunt, and a concise conclusion.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Wondering I went looking back a year to the 1916 HD sales brochure and found that both high and low style tank decals were used.
                          Low on both sides of a twin and high on both sides of a single so it appears that both styles of tank decals were available in 1916.
                          I've attached the appropriate photos out of the 1916 Sales Brochure.
                          Twin photos first first then single photos in the next post.
                          Attached Files
                          A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Now the single 1916 HD single 2.jpg
                            Attached Files
                            A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

See what happens when the grandsons go home and are not there to supervise granddad.
                              Sorry about the varying image sizes
                              Give me time please and I'll get it right in the end.
                              A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Working...
                              X