No announcement yet.

gx1 wheeler-schebler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Tommo; it was undated but it does have a HD image reference number in the bottom right hand corner.[/QUOTE]

That number is the Pohlman Studios negative number. It is not any kind of Harley-Davidson number. Unfortunately the Pohlman negative log doesn't start until 1934 so I can't give you the date the negative was entered.
    Jerry Hatfield identified this photo as being a 1926.
    If you look on page 32 of The Legend begins, an in house Harley-Davidson publication, you can see this same air cleaner on the left side photo of the 1926 Model B. The coil is partially blocking it but the end of it is plain to see.
    The same photo can be seen in the 1926 New Models sales brochure.
    once again the same photo is used in the September 1925 Enthusiast 1926 New model Announcement, page 7.
    Last edited by Chris Haynes; 09-06-2008, 12:58 AM.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris,
      Look very carefully at the image you quoted on p32 of "The Legend Begins" and see how the carb finishes just behind the coil and well in front of the seat post frame tube. Quite a space of clear air don't you agree? Now look closely at the image you posted above and see how close to the battery box the end of the air cleaner is. Well behind the said frame downtube don't you agree?

I'll now quote directly from the August 1927 Enthusiast, p5 with the caption under the model release image of the 1928 single reading;

Quote"The new 1928 Single! Now the Single you have already wished for! The advancements in the 1928 single place it ahead of even it's own established enviable reputation. Motor improvements that mean miles and miles and miles of service. Then the 1928 features; FRONT WHEEL BRAKE, AIR CLEANER and THROTTLE CONTROLLED MOTOR OILER, but read Frank's story for more." Unquote.

Why would Harley make these claims if they had already been fitting an air cleaner for two years and why give the part a -28 number when if you are right it was first fitted in 1926? Why not a -26 part number and then why doesn't it appear in any 1926 or 1927 parts books?
      How does the throttle controlled oil pump get on a 1926 image when the factory is claiming it as a 1928 development and none of the parts that are associated with the throttle controlled oil pump, and this goes for twins as well, appear in any parts books until 1928?

I've had a lot of pressure by some people to come back onto this forum and share my knowledge but this sort of misinformation is exactly why I left and once again I'll have to say thats it from me, if you want to rewrite history then go ahead but do it without me.
      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
      A.M.C.A. # 2777
      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Perhaps the original photo was taken in 1926 and airbrushed to show the new changes for 1928.I believe this was common practise. The picture Chris has posted here has clearly been air brushed.

Pete Reeves 860

Comment

I've had a lot of pressure by some people to come back onto this forum and share my knowledge but this sort of misinformation is exactly why I left and once again I'll have to say thats it from me, if you want to rewrite history then go ahead but do it without me.[/QUOTE]

So instead of participating in a discussion that can bring the true facts to the surface you take you ball and go home? Dont take another persons opinion as an assult on your manhood. We all have our opinions. Nobody knows it all. I study what materials I can find. But first hand information on these old bikes is catch as catch can. Each day on these boards is a learning experience for me.
          Be sure to visit;

Comment

quote .."I've had a lot of pressure by some people to come back onto this forum and share my knowledge but this sort of misinformation is exactly why I left and once again I'll have to say thats it from me, if you want to rewrite history then go ahead but do it without me."

I learn (or try to at each B/B that I am a member of.....But.......

This fella's pissy attitude is just utter BS.

Take your toys, knowledge, experience..........and stay home.

Always amazes me that we learn, amass experience and material things....and then die with all that info stored in us.....and everything that one's accumulated over the years,,,, well......it goes to someone that don't give a **** about old bikes..

Keep your info....experience....books bikes toys...ect...and not help set the record straight...take it to the grave and NO Body will ever know for sure..

See ya
            George Greer
            AMCA # 3370

Comment

experts

you know i joined this forum almost 6 years ago.and for the majority of those years tommo was our resident "expert",of which every forum needs at least one of.i dont recollect him ever belittling people,or acting superior to someone else.or scorning a person for asking a stupid question.and in my opinion he was usually open to active debate. i hope he has a quick recovery from his health problems ,and wont be discouraged by some of the fresh opinions now on this forum.and hope he will be encouraged by some of the fresh opinions on this forum.at least we still have a forum.
              www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

I agree. Debate is a useful tool. It opens up opinions and brings out the facts. Like the fact that he pointed out that what I mistakenly saw as an air cleaner was actually the long snout of the carburetor. Sorry, but it is hard to tell from the backside when it is in shadows. See, I learned.
                Be sure to visit;

Comment

tommo is THE man when it comes to J model H-D's and his knowledge has been so valuable to me and others. I have found him to be very generous with his knowledge, both emperical and from a library of genuine data. I'm as guilty as anyone of typing something I wouldn't personally say to a fellow member but I think we should save our ire for that "WoW Gold" guy that we can't seem to get rid of !
                  Last edited by exeric; 09-07-2008, 03:08 PM.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

I apologise if I upset anyone with my posts here as that was not my intention and if I did so I'm sincerely sorry.

Jurassic, thanks for you kind words regarding my health and George you don't know just how close I came to your wish that I carry my knowledge to the grave.

Chris all I was attempting to do was to make people aware that probably the majority of users on here take what they read as gospel and that whoever posts replys to queries must ensure that the responses are accurate. I'm not saying don't respond, I'm saying make sure your response is accurate and that it won't lead someone up the garden path.
                    If Ken had turned up to a AMCA event with a 1926 single Harley that had a throttle controlled oil pump, air cleaner, the 1928 modified gearbox end cover, a gearbox with the added oil filler snout and crankcases with the thick (3/4 inch) mounting pads imagine how he would have felt when they crunched his restoration. This winners circle judging thing that you do over there is obviously very important to some of you so when people request info with regard to this sort of thing they expect accurate facts so they don't have to go away from a judging with a list as long as your arm to correct and not to mention the hole it will make in their wallet.

Once again I'm sorry if I upset anyone but I do tend to get hot under the collar when incorrect information is portrayed as fact.
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Ken,
                      If you contact me at p.j.thomson@actrix.co.nz with the details of the bike I presume you are restoring I'll see if I can help you further.
                      A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Tommo,

Don't get me wrong....

I .. DO Not wish any ill will, or harm to come to anyone.

George
                        George Greer
                        AMCA # 3370

Comment

Tommo's information has always been spot-on accurate, and often rare and valuable information at that.

Our job here is not only to sort out the inconsistencies of written histories, but to prevent inaccuracies from becoming gospel.

It would be a great loss to all if we cannot keep our discussions polite, impersonal, and focused upon the evidence.

...Cotten
                          AMCA #776
                          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Taking another look at the picture Chris posted, it definitely looks like '28 or later. If you look closely it shows the tail light electrical connector the was introduced in '28. Also, the battery box looks like the later one that was introduced with the 45s in '29.

Comment

The Singles used the cannister aircleaner with the "turbine" end from 1928 up. Same as JD. It will retrofit on a 1926, too. It clips directly on the carb's airintake. Picture in "Inside Harley", page 69. It's a 1929 21".
                              AMCA #2124

Comment

Sorry folks,
                                Somehow I clicked into this thread from the end, and did not see that the picture I mentioned is the same as Chris posted. But it is a 1929 alright. There are almost identical pictures of the 1926 Single. You can spot the difference in a good picture that the kicker cover has slotted screws instead of the later studs & nuts. Also I have seen a pic of the 30.50 (500cc) Model C. They are all confusingly similar showing how easy the top is removed. 1930 up already has the bicycle starter pedal. Other details that Tommy counts are correct, too.

Regards Fiskis
                                AMCA #2124

Comment

Working...
                                X