Where Have All The XAs Gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darrylri

I believe it will fit... however, you'll need to fabricate some kind of adapter to mate to the R50/2 transmission. You can't use the older transmission for two reasons: 1) the output of the transmission needs to mate to the U joint flange on the R50/2's enclosed shaft, which runs inside the right swingarm leg; and 2) the older transmission is a 2 shaft unit and turns clockwise (facing it from the rear), while the /2 transmission is a 3 shaft unit and turns counter clockwise.
    Darryl,

Now you've got me interested. That blown R50/2 has been sitting in my shed attic for 20 years! What a cool project if a guy could get one of these modern Chinese side-valve BMW type motors and fit it to the R50/2 chassis! I know it wouldn't be original or authentic but it would be a very fun cool job to own.

A righteous Ersatz XA!

Comment

well guys unless something ever shows up I think the 37 inch h moter is just a myth. hd cant find anything and neither can the army. a theory back in these posts I believe probaly is true. that the mysterious author of the artical i read probaly got this bike confused with a way earler model. without knowing him and his sources i have become a skeptic myself.However I (and im sure ronnie ) enjoyed all these posts and all your imput to get thru a bad winter here in iowa (we still have lots of poles down around here from the ice storm) summer is comming and i still have to put my mag back in my 68 ironhead. I just cant wait to taste the first bugs of summer happy trails all!! mike

Comment

Originally posted by mmoore
        well guys unless something ever shows up I think the 37 inch h moter is just a myth. hd cant find anything and neither can the army. a theory back in these posts I believe probaly is true. that the mysterious author of the artical i read probaly got this bike confused with a way earler model. without knowing him and his sources i have become a skeptic myself.However I (and im sure ronnie ) enjoyed all these posts and all your imput to get thru a bad winter here in iowa (we still have lots of poles down around here from the ice storm) summer is comming and i still have to put my mag back in my 68 ironhead. I just cant wait to taste the first bugs of summer happy trails all!! mike
        Thanks for posting the update.

Hope you have a good summer and good riding. We hit near 80 F. here last week and now it's colder than bejeezus again!

Comment

Dale actually has three XAs. Here is a shot of the more military one. Note the hydraulic forks, solid wheel, and no nonsence tread on the tire.

King
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice photo. Where is this one located? Only a couple of hundred were made with the solid disc wheels. Never seen one in person. Mine has spokes and the extra shock in front like this one does.

Comment

Ronny

This and the two "civianized" ones posted above are located at the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Vally, North Carolina.
              Wheels Through Time is an amazing collection put together by Dale Walksler. Over 250 bikes are on display and nearly all of them run. If you ever get over on the east coast it is a must see!!

King

Comment

Working...
              X