Right hand tank shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right hand tank shift

I did not know where to put this question, so here it goes. Did harley ever have ever produce a right hand tank or other RH hand shift for the big twins? I know they did for the servicar.

My 69 flh is a left hand shift, foot clutch with a 3R tranny. The problem is, I cannot use the clutch. A 25 year old military injury has finally caught up to me and my leg is now temporarily fused at the moment, but I am not out in the clear yet and may still lose my leg above the knee. I was never really able to get away from the bone infection that has plagued me over the years.

I only told this story to satisfy the whys. I would like to keep it about my bike and adaption ideas. With that being said, I have several ways of going about this, but do not know which direction to take. Hand clutch on shifter hit the handlebars.

Thank you for your time in advance!

H=D right hand shift for Big Twins ended with the '40s. There was never a right hand clamp on shifter like the '67 up type and never a clutch anywhere other than where your is. Why not switch to a hand clutch/foot shift? They are easy to operate with a compromised limb or a prosthetic.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I've got a nos crossover shaft for the right hand gear shift, which runs under the tanks and I guess fits 1930-48 Harleys.

Comment

If your shaft goes under the tank it is either for Servi-cars or Big Twin flathead. Knucklehead had a bell crank that mounted on the rear engine motor mount. If you need pictures or dimensions of the OHV one I have one but it is not for sale. Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          H=D right hand shift for Big Twins ended with the '40s. There was never a right hand clamp on shifter like the '67 up type and never a clutch anywhere other than where your is. Why not switch to a hand clutch/foot shift? They are easy to operate with a compromised limb or a prosthetic.
          Again, I have a 3R tranny which kinda takes away from a foot shift and how can I shift it with my foot or maybe soon after no foot at all.

I was thinking of either adding a mousetrap or mousetrap eliminater and moving the clutch up to the handlebar one of two ways: left side with RH shift and keep the RH throttle or stranger yet, move the throttle to the LH side and run it with a panhead timing advance unit and move and run the hand clutch lever to the right side. This will however take a little getting use to.

Let me add I will be running with a sidecar.

Thanks for all advice. I just want ride and stay away from riding a trike.

Comment

Dear Jerry, you're right, my part is 2215-37B for the flatheads.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
              I thought the frame mounted hand shifters started in 66.

Comment

They did Dewey, my mistake typing too fast..
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I really can't figure this thing out, Folks!

The '36-'48 Parts Catalog (pg. 48) suggests 2216-37, but it looks like the shaft should have square detentes for the levers, and why does it have captured nuts, instead of just holes?
                  (And the spacing isn't the same either!)

Thanks in advance,

....Cotten
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-19-2017, 10:09 AM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I would like my quoted idea to be the very last result period. So, I guess what I am hearing is this is going to be pretty rough with no straight forward Harley parts. Let's say we switch directions and make it look like it was factory made.
                    I hopefully would like to make the modification without wrecking any original parts, for instance taking a rh shifter; with corresponding gate, if one applies, and modifying an aftermarket tank for there placement? The clutch lever can still move up to the LH side of handlbar with a mousetrap. Yes, I really want to use a mousetrap unless makes it too busy in the confined space that already exists, but I would still like to try to use the mouse trap.

I would even consider using Indian shift lever parts including their RH shifter.

Thank you all again for your input, you all are greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                      I was thinking of either adding a mousetrap or mousetrap eliminater and moving the clutch up to the handlebar one of two ways: left side with RH shift and keep the RH throttle or stranger yet, move the throttle to the LH side and run it with a panhead timing advance unit and move and run the hand clutch lever to the right side. This will however take a little getting use to.

Let me add I will be running with a sidecar.

Thanks for all advice. I just want ride and stay away from riding a trike.

I would like my quoted above idea to be the very last result period. So, I guess what I am hearing is this is going to be pretty rough with no straight forward Harley parts. Let's say we switch directions and make it look like it was factory made.
                      I hopefully would like to make the modification without wrecking any original parts, for instance taking a rh shifter; with corresponding gate, if one applies, and modifying an aftermarket tank for there placement? The clutch lever can still move up to the LH side of handlbar with a mousetrap. Yes, I really want to use a mousetrap unless makes it too busy in the confined space that already exists, but I would still like to try to use the mouse trap.

I would even consider using Indian shift lever parts including their RH shifter.

Thank you all again for your input, you all are greatly appreciated!
                      Last edited by ryan; 04-19-2017, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Cotton I do not think your picture is of the righthand shift bellcrank. Looks like a seat bracket! I'll take a picture of mine and post it. Jerry

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                        I really can't figure this thing out, Folks!

The '36-'48 Parts Catalog (pg. 48) suggests 2216-37, but it looks like the shaft should have square detentes for the levers, and why does it have captured nuts, instead of just holes?
                        (And the spacing isn't the same either!)

Thanks in advance,

....Cotten

Comment

Yup, Cotten's picture is a seat mount for a frame mount buddy seat.

Ryan,
                          The shifter pivot is available as a repair part for left tanks, it can likely easily be adapted to the right side. A 3&R shift gate for a '39-'46 tank will easily adapt to a stock tank with a couple of blind bungs added. The shifter bellcrank would be the toughest but easily fabricated, although it would likely require a single right sided exhaust as it goes right where the crossover pipe would be.
                          I still don't understand your resistance to a foot shifter modified for a prosthetic though. Guys have been using that type set-up for as long as foot shifters have existed. Since ratchet tops return to a central spot it is easy to shift.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

When a friend lost the use of his legs he dreamed up a combination of H-D parts to modify the bike so he could ride it. First was to install a tank shift lid on the gearbox. Second was to get a left hand tank shift tank and all the shifting linkage. Once all of that was put on the bike he used a section of handlebar with a plug in one end. He drilled and tapped the plug and screwed it on the shift lever in place of the ball. He put a hand grip on it and attached the hand clutch lever to it. So now he can clutch and shift with the same hand.
                            He used a V Rod hydraulic hand clutch lever master cylinder to activate the rear brake.
                            All H-D parts and the only thing that got cut was an old handlebar.
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Golly Folks,

I thought a frame-mount seat bracket looked like this (attached).
                              If anyone can give me a part number, it would be appreciated!

Sorry Ryan, I thought I had something that would help....

.....Cotten
                              BNCHMNT.jpg
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                              X