• Show
Clear All

• Out-of-my-league manifold question

Please explain this lever!

Thanks in advance,

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Please explain this lever!

Thanks in advance,

....Cotten
    Intake manifold gas primer petcock?
    Tom

Comment

Maybe Tom,

But then why put priming cups on the cylinders?

The only thing I would bet on is it has vacuum leaks,.. if it connects at all?

....Cotten
      PS: I've never encountered an "auxillary air valve" thumbtab like that either.
      Attached Files
      AMCA #776

Comment

On early H-D twins up to 1914, they offered an auxiliary air valve built into the manifold. Perhaps this is a homemade version of that. The manifold in the first picture is a straight 1916 and earlier H-D twin manifold. Shortly into 1916 H-D went to the curved runner manifold. Tom, I thought the H series Scheblers had an auxiliary air valve.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

possibly a shut-off (this is assuming that flipping the lever blocks off the manifold T to the carburetor)
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            On early H-D twins up to 1914, they offered an auxiliary air valve built into the manifold. Perhaps this is a homemade version of that. The manifold in the first picture is a straight 1916 and earlier H-D twin manifold. Shortly into 1916 H-D went to the curved runner manifold. Tom, I thought the H series Scheblers had an auxiliary air valve.
            Eric!

I have yet to encounter the real thing, and would appreciate a pic if possible.
            It had to be a problem in itself.

Earlier HX had no auxillary valve (example attached); This '16 appears to have something added to the thumbtab.
            (I use buffalo nickels.)

And Harry!

I am having a hard time imagining why that would be an advantage.
            Emergency brake?

....Cotten
            Attached Files
            AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
              Emergency brake?
              Jake Brake! No, I thought magneto machines were shut off by grounding or opening a compression release, so shutting off the fuel/air would shut off the bike... just guessin' here Cotten!
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

This is a 1914 manifold. I really don't know how the auxiliary air valve worked. SloJoe would certainly know as I believe he was reproducing this manifold.

Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

1915 Electric models had a vacuum take off in the centre of the manifold to operate the switch in the generator that completed the electrical circuit.
                  As far as I'm aware HD used these manifolds with a blanking plug in the hole during 1916 until they ran out of stocks of them and then fitted ones that hadn't been drilled for the vacuum take-off.
                  I don't think the priming cock is a factory fitting but you can never be 100% sure of what could have happened at the HD Factory back in those days.
                  Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                  A.M.C.A. # 2777
                  Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Maybe a race bike innovation? Who want's to be dicking around with cylinder primers on the track when you can have a one time dump of raw fuel straight into the manifold. Bob L
                    AMCA #3149
                    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Thanks Tommo!

My 'internet' literature says the manifold changed dramatically mid-'16, both thread and direction of thread.
                      So the manifold in my first photo is even more enigmatic in that it is not 'screw-on', but has a flange.

....Cotten
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-02-2015, 05:13 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

I thought all 1916Js were flange type, bolt on manifolds. This picture is of an early 1916 motor that has been over-restored, but probably from a very complete original. The cylinders tell the tale as you can see how the fins wrap around the exhaust valve covers. That was a 1915, to early 1916 feature.

Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

I did a bit more research and according to Terry Marsh, the HX95 is the correct carb for a 1915 H-D; and that is a bolt on carb, not screw on.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Bolt-on is good, Eric!

...Cotten
                            PS: I need to have a pipe-thread to left-hand-whatever-thread adapter cut.
                            All my real machinist friends are having too much fun doing other things.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Eric I thought most if not all of the 1915 cylinders were not rounded off over the top of the screw that locates the inlet cage.
                              I have a nos pair of 1915 cylinders and they are square across the top of the protrusion that the screw goes into.
                              Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                              A.M.C.A. # 2777
                              Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
                              X