New Find!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Find!!!

It's been a long day but I've got a grin on! I just got home from a fairly long tour after work. Anyway this old chunk of iron showed up at a scrapyard fairly recently and one of the fellas that worked there was wise enough to take it home. Long story short... I drug it home tonight. I snapped a couple of pics in the dark and they aren't the best but I figured I'd put them up anyway. The fella that had it thought it may be a '17 as that's what his local Harley dealer told him but I've got a hunch that it is a '15. It's been played with sometime in the last 90 odd years. I suspect it was used as a stationary at some point. It's numbered as H7004H. O.K. let's hear what the experts have to say!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Good one Cory. Now on to the rest of the bike.

Comment

Wow! Great find Cory. I don't know much about H-D before 1916 but I think your motor is earlier than '15. Your left side case looks pre-'15 to me.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

1914. The cylinders are a bear to find for those years. I had a spare a couple of years ago and wish I would have never sold it. Very cool find!

Comment

Good for you Cory, right down your alley! BobAMCA#6738
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Nice find Cory, its such a shame people throw this stuff out, we lose our history if too much gets tossed.
            Bob Beatty
            AMCA 19209

Comment

The H suffix indicates that it's a 1914 single speed or two speed. Not sure about the preceding H however. Are you sure that it's an H?
              Mark Masa
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                Good one Cory. Now on to the rest of the bike.
                Jerry! I guess bikes have been built out of less. This one is gonna take awhile!!!

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                Good for you Cory, right down your alley! BobAMCA#6738
                Bob, I've been looking through classified ads for old bike stuff since I was a teenager. This is the first time that I've found anything this old (Harley related) and it was relatively close. It was only a 9 hour round trip!!!

Originally posted by NiteOwl View Post
                Nice find Cory, its such a shame people throw this stuff out, we lose our history if too much gets tossed.
                Bob, if any of us sat down and watched video of the scrap drives I'm sure we would all have to wipe away tears!!! When I asked the guy what the story was... he said he didn't know... it just showed up one day in a load of scrap!!! With all the "picker" and "auction" type shows on television it amazes me that someone would think to junk something like this. I'm just thankful this guy had the sense to save it!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                  1914. The cylinders are a bear to find for those years. I had a spare a couple of years ago and wish I would have never sold it. Very cool find!
                  Well '14 it is then! Thanks! When I first saw it. "Another cylinder is gonna be hard to find" ran through my head. Just when I think I'm narrowing down my "parts lists" I go and drag something else home!

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
                  The H suffix indicates that it's a 1914 single speed or two speed. Not sure about the preceding H however. Are you sure that it's an H?
                  Mark Masa
                  Mark! Thanks for the ID. I had read somewhere that H was a designation for '15 so that was my interim thought until I asked here. There is definitely an H preceding the numbers. The numbers match from the case to the cylinder as well. The front number looks like the 7 has a weird squiggle in it in the photo but it's just the camera playing tricks!

A couple more shots....

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                  Wow! Great find Cory. I don't know much about H-D before 1916 but I think your motor is earlier than '15. Your left side case looks pre-'15 to me.
                  Thanks Eric! I was stoked when I discovered the ad. I was the third guy that had contacted him but after a chat he told me to come get it! Looks like you were right about it not being a '15.
                  Last edited by c.o.; 05-31-2012, 08:58 PM. Reason: rearranging.....
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

cory looks like your just getting the dandelions to pop up. my corn is 8 inches high already.
                    rob ronky #10507
                    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Rob, the dandelions have been around for a couple weeks. They are smart little buggers. I chop 'em down and they just bloom shorter! I don't grow corn at the moment but it's been such a cold spring that I can't imagine it would have amounted to much if I had planted any!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Major score. It looks like its in really good shape to. Got any better pics of the blanked off hole? I like to see how old motors have been modified. What does the inside of the cam chest look like? I think Slojo might have a cylinder.
                        www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Coming from you Lonnie the "major score" comment made me grin. Thanks man!!! I was on pins and needles until I got it into my truck and was heading home. I just couldn't believe I got my hands on it. It looks like there were wood plugs in every hole that needed one... I figured this out as I peered around with a flashlight last night. I'm assuming it was modified by a farmer at some point. I haven't opened up the cam chest yet but as soon as I do, I'll post a photo. Here's that pic you asked for..... Oh, and do you have an theories on that two H's???

Last edited by c.o.; 05-31-2012, 11:12 PM. Reason: forgot sumthin'
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Congratulations Cory, glad to see this engine ending up in the hands of someone who will appreciate it instead of scrapping it! Keep the pics coming.
                            Eric Olson
                            Membership #18488

Comment

Thank-you Eric. I still can't believe it showed up in a scrapyard in this day in age!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X