No announcement yet.

1925 JD Cannonball Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi mate. Don't worry about it. You did a marvelous job and I enjoyed you'r creativity.
    Think of it this way....look how far in front you are for next year.
    Hope the hand heals well.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

• morn n Jerry, hows bout a update? hope you guys are good. Linda n Gary
      gww57.com

Comment

• If you use the VL mainshaft, what other gears do you have to replace to make it work in a 28 JD transmission?

Comment

• You have to use the matching VL main drive gear, the one with the bushing. That's all you need to swap.
          Mark Masa
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

• I have bored out the JD main drive gear , pressed in the later bushing and used it with the VL mainshaft. You have to use a carbide for the boring as the metal is way hard. It worked out nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by gww View Post
              morn n Jerry, hows bout a update? hope you guys are good. Linda n Gary
              Gary In some aspects I took a step backward with the bike this winter. When time was running short last summer I rebuilt a 1932 VL tranny to run in it to save time but this winter I decided to back up a bit and rebuild the correct one-year only tranny for it so I sold the 32 tranny. I also backed up on the engine and am rebuilding the original engine from the chassis. I hope to have it all to go real soon.

On a personal note this has been the longest winter I can remember - for sure from recent times. The drift in front of my garage door is still 2 feet deep and it is starting to snow right now and MN/ST Paul has 8 inches of the stuff and it is coming our way. Everybody has cabin fever real bad. I had been riding a month already by now last year.

I'll post a bunch of pictures when I get the chance.

Jerry
              Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 04-18-2013, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• I agree. If you have a decent lathe or a mill with a boring head, you can convert the 1925-1932? Top gear into the later bushed style. I actually use a ceramic insert instead of carbide. MUCH better on hardened materials.
                Mark Masa

Originally posted by harleytoprock View Post
                I have bored out the JD main drive gear , pressed in the later bushing and used it with the VL mainshaft. You have to use a carbide for the boring as the metal is way hard. It worked out nice.
                Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

• Hi Jerry. Any advancements on the old girl. No aspersions at Deb, just want know if you,ve made any headway on the bike.
                  Steve Little
                  Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                  Australia.
                  AMCA member 1950

Comment

• Well, I just got notified by Lonnie Isam that I am in for the 2014 Cannonball if I want to. The downside is that I will have to supply my own quarters as there are no available motel rooms. Now if only I can talk the wife into driving a RV. I do not know if that will happen. I might just have to run solo without support although anybody that has been around the Cannonball knows that there are always support trucks around.

I had though of running a 1936 Knucklehead but I have already been across the country twice on them and they really do not present any problems so I started building this 1925 JD for a cross country trip and that is what it is going to get.

So soon I will get back to posting here.

Jerry

Comment

• Jerry... I think it's pretty cool that you are passing on the Knuck. I'm sure your JD will be a road warrior.
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

• morn n Jerry, look n forward to more of the build. and congrats on the cannonball entry. being help and support on the first two, this may be a change of pace for ya. your scenario of having to supply your own lodging is how we were able to enter last years. and it worked out well, but put allot on Linda's plate. (what a gal). the up side is she can now get her cdl.. whats miss Deb,s thoughts? we re look n forward to this one. should be a HOOT. ANY thing i can help with? gary
                        P1010390.jpg
                        P4040841.jpg
                        gww57.com

Comment

Working...
                        X