J Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Pistons

How far can a late 61" J cylinder be bored and where can pistons be found? Jerry

Great question Jerry. My front cylinder is rust pitted and I need pistons as well. I recall Matt Walksler stating on another forum that he used flathead Ford pistons in his 61". Does anyone know if Ford pistons are viable replacement?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

My rear is used at +.100" and the piston has no markings and I am not really familiar with J's. Front is used at standard.

Comment

Think you can use UL Pistons or get higher compression pistons from Competition Distributing. Check the Yahoo harley j/jd group. There's a long post on using UL pistons. The J/JDs had a taper ground bore(tighter at the top than the bottom.). The cylinders need to be straight bored to use more modern pistons.
        David Morrill
        Sylacauga, AL. USA.
        AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
        Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

David That stuff all works for JD but I do not think J. Competition has only 74" pistons on their website - no 61's. I am going to call them and see. Their pistons I think are made by Venolia.

Jerry

Comment

I use 214 cu in Bedford truck pistons.
            There is a Mitsubishi piston that a lot of guys use and it raises the com a bit.
            If you want to know exactly which Mitsi piston I'll have to ask around for details.
            Bedford pistons go straight in with no mods needed. Maybe there's a Chev equivilant as they are both GM products.
            Don't get too carried away with your overbore size as you wouldn't be the first person to end up with a detachable head cylinder.
            Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
            A.M.C.A. # 2777
            Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

flathead piston

hey Jerry I may have a stash of n.o.s. flat head piston's at the old house, I will be stopping by later today and I will see whats left.

Comment

Tommo
                I'd be interested in the part numbers of the Bedford truck piston as well as the Mits.
                Thanks
                Mark
                Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark
                  The Hepolite number for the Bedford pistons is 10171
                  As soon as I find out the Mitsi details I'll let you know.
                  Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                  A.M.C.A. # 2777
                  Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Tommo Have you found out anything more on the pistons. I tried searching for your numbers but could not really come up with much.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                    X