22JD Tear down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love that smell! I thought we all did, or maybe I'm just a freak! Lol
    The compression release shaft has a cam on the end. This acts on an odd shaped a plate that pivots on the cam stud behind the cam follower arms. This plate acts on the exhaust cam followers, lifting them, and consequently, the exhaust valves off their seats thus releasing the compression.
    The piece missing in your distributor is often broken off. It's just a small piece of spring steel to hold the points arm down. Make one and rivet it in place. It needs to be able to rotate around the rivet.
    Mark Masa
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Good morning Gentlemen, In an effort to drive myself to the brink of insanity, I went out and scored a side car for this project. At first the frame looked to be pitted beyond saving and the buy was going to be a wash. This was not to be. What we soon discovered what looked like pitting was a black enamel paint job done with a brush. That crappy paint job was probably responsible for giving this antique another shot at a new life. The tub is too far gone to save. At one point in its life some one skim coated it with a 1/4" of Bondo. There's nothing made of sheet metal I can't save but you have to make a decision of how many man hours your willing to put into something that will be far less than first rate when you're done. I've haven't ruled out taking a crack at it. I know better after I blast the Bondo off next week. Same goes for the fender. The rim and spokes where history but the hub and races are mint and that's what counts. Looks like I got my winter project laid out a head of me.
      The front ball joint nut has a chunk taken out of it. Someone down the road already started an armature job at trying to remove the ball joint. They drilled out the set screw and everything around it. I came up with a puller contraption I think will work in the end. I really don't want to cut and drill out the ball joint but I've come to terms with myself that there's a good chance that's what's going to happen. I have to assume that because of the frames age, it was brazed together? Also was the frame tubing heat treated? For these reasons I've resisted pulling out the torch. Even my puller idea leaves me some concern if the casting joint it's pushing against is brazed. I've learned quickly that JD side car parts don't grow on trees. Another reason to try and pull the ball joint out and save it verses drilling. Hop in boys and help Bob prevent his next trip to the emergency room. Bob L
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Robert Luland; 08-27-2011, 10:05 AM.
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I just realized that I should have posted this under side cars. Guess it's a little late now. Next time. Bob L
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Robert Luland; 08-27-2011, 03:05 PM.
        AMCA #3149

Comment

So, you've broke down and drug a hack home have you Bob? I can't offer any advice but will be paying attention as I should tackle one my my sidecars one of these days!!! You've got a pretty cool project going here and I can't wait to see what you do with it!!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Keep it coming guys, this is good stuff.

Comment

I now Love ANY info I can get on J's as I have been consigned to make about 15 of them run! At the risk of a Slight Hijack I will ask a question I can't get an answer to on another Forum. I just don't want to wear out my welcome with Tommo!!

Does anyone know, or can someone measure for me the dimensions of 61" intake nipples VS 74" intake nipples for the J type cylinders. The one I need is 1 3/8-18 on the cyl side and 1 5/8 -20 on the manifold side with a 1 3/4 hex. Are these 61" or 74"? Thanks!
              http://laughingindian.com/
              http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
              A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

The nipple you dimensioned is for a 61" J. 1915-1929.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric!
                  http://laughingindian.com/
                  http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                  A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Bob
                    Do you have the parts to attach it to the bike?
                    Mark Masa
                    Mark Masa
                    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Good Day Lads,
                      Since things seem to be pretty boring around here – I figured I’d chime in with the latest on my ’22 JD project. I decided, since I am not an engine rebuilder, to sub it out to Steve Lippoldt. Since he was in Jefferson and I was at Jefferson it was a perfect situation. I also got the cylinders out to Tommy Faber to get the couple of broken fins dealt with. After Steve disassembled the motor and he did his measurements I got the cases back to do my end of the deal. Today I finished the paint and they will be on their way back to Steve for reassembling. On another note, the side car – we got the ball joints out but the axle which is 14” long and been soaking for three months is not budging. It’s looking like we are going to have go to Plan B, which I haven’t figured out yet. Sure could I put it in the 50 ton press but the damage I could do to the castings, could be catastrophe. In forty years of painting I meet my match today. It’s called the clincher rim. My first hurdle was how am I going to hang these for painting. I finally decided on using a Allen cap screw though the air valve hole as you can see in the photos. Because of the shape of the rim it was some challenge to paint with out runs. In the end I prevailed. Scored a proper tranny the other night, so the project keeps creeping forward. This project has been a lot of work so far but fun at the same time.
                      Bob L
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Robert Luland; 11-13-2011, 07:58 PM.
                      AMCA #3149

Comment

. Sure could I put it in the 50 ton press but the damage I could do to the castings, could be catastrophe

hey Bob those side car axle's are real tough to get out there's is a pin on the top that lets you adjust from the sidecar size to auto size lets you run in the auto ruts, if that's out then lock the frame down on a beefy table and put a little heat to it and attack it with a real heavy side hammer
                        Last edited by bill campbell; 11-14-2011, 10:17 AM. Reason: not right

Comment

Bill, I thought up Plan B last night. I don't need to get the axel out. I just realized that the inner stationary race is pressed on to the axel. I'm going to pull it off with a bearing splitter behind it and just replace the inner dust cover. Every days a learning curve Bill. Bob L
                          AMCA #3149

Comment

Plan B was successful! With a four ton puller and a little heat, the stationary bear race slid off. There is now no reason to remove the axel as I can now replace the dust shield and felt gasket. Now it’s time to blast and start repairing. The Bean girl will ride in her carriage. Bob L
                            Attached Files
                            AMCA #3149

Comment

I’m sitting at the kitchen counter bored out of my mind and am just too burned out to go to the shop, flip a switch and get filthy. Even though I have a blast making parts, there comes a point where enough is enough for one week. The one thing I have discovered about myself lately with making parts for JD’s. There isn’t a moment that I don’t walk out on that shop floor and pick up a 1920’s part and say to myself. I can make that, in fact I can make it better than the factory did but enough rambling. It’s been a few days over one year since I scored my 22JD an caught the fever, so I figured it was time to give you guys and update of where I stand with this project so far. The motor is done for the most part. I’m in the process of machining new older oilers for the rockers. Tranny is also just about done. We assembled the side car frame this week which was a big deal since it was the only project I’ve ever taken on where I had to produce every piece of hardware from scratch. The amount of side car hardware I’m selling on Fleese-Bay is living testament (I have much more fun making JD parts than installing cooling towers on skyscrapers). I will start reproduce the new tub this fall and will give ya blow by blow as I go along. This is going to be real fun. There were a lot of people here that made it possible for me to be along as far as I am with this project and I can’t thank them enough for being a phone call or an e-mail away to help.
                              Bob L
                              Attached Files
                              AMCA #3149

Comment

I, for one, am really, REALLY glad you posted this, and to everyone who has posted here as well...

I just got a boatload of trouble... or joy... or both. My ol' man (dad, not SO!) passed on... and he left me what was probably his "project" that never got started. I'll post about that in a minute elsewhere... but it's a year older and magneto'd. And at least looking at yours, gives me an idea of what mine may look like someday... hopefully!! (fingers crossed)

Thanks again...
                                Susanne

Comment

Working...
                                X