Education needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education needed

Looking for a flathead to restore and ride. I like the 45's but what years did they make the 74 and 80? Whats the diff? I dont want something to smoke the back tire, I just want a liesurely rider thats dependable. Tired of working on brit bikes and jap bikes and want to move on to something older with more character. Built my own chopper so dont want another. Not afraid to take on a basket case thats complete or close to it.
    Scott Larson
    AMCA #13589
    Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
    1971 HD FLH
    1971 Triumph Bonneville 650
    1973 Norton Commando 750

Scott,
    The first 74 Flathead was in 1930 and was the beginning of the V series. Tha last of the series included an 80 ci model. The series ended in '36, they were fairly primitive with total loss oiling. The U series began in '37 and included both 74 (U,UL) and 80 (UH,ULH) models. The 74 was listed until '48, the 80 to '41. There are a few known anomolies. They are recirculating oil systems and much more user friendly. Great for everyday riding and good sidecar haulers as well. '37 also was the transition year for 45s from total loss to recirc, so I would guess you would like one from there on. There are lots of variations of trim, equipment groups, state of tune, etc. If you are considering a Flathead I suggest you do lots of research first to decide what might fit your riding habits and desires. I have both 45s and a UL and love them both.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the info Robbie. Started my research here so Im off to a good start. Ive been looking for a 45 but someone mentioned the 74 and 80 and didnt know they made those as a flathead also. Im just a country boy looking to ride on gravel and blacktop roads or a few miles into town to run errands. I have an 07 Ultra to put the serious miles on. Ive been watching them on ebay but Im not going to buy something I cant look at first. Still dont know the difference between WL, WLA, WLC, WLD etc. but it doesnt seem to matter cuz I like em all.
      Scott Larson
      AMCA #13589
      Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
      1971 HD FLH
      1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Originally posted by slarsonroy View Post
        Still dont know the difference between WL, WLA, WLC, WLD etc.
        Don't feel bad, you're not alone!

Comment

Scott,
          W low compression 45
          WL standard civilian model
          WLA US Army models
          WLC Canadian military WWII
          WLD Sport model, high compression
          WLDD Special Sport model
          WLDR Competition model with full equipment (lights, full fenders, etc)
          WR Full racing model (WR for track, WRTT for road race)
          G, GE Servi-Car
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Excellent! Burned it into my memory. Im going to Davenport swap meet next month and will be on the lookout for an overpriced deal. Went to Mid-Ohio and saw 99.99% non harley there. Had a great time but didnt come home with anything.
            Scott Larson
            AMCA #13589
            Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
            1971 HD FLH
            1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Originally posted by slarsonroy View Post
              Excellent! Burned it into my memory. Im going to Davenport swap meet next month and will be on the lookout for an overpriced deal. Went to Mid-Ohio and saw 99.99% non harley there. Had a great time but didnt come home with anything.
              Ya better be there thursday morning.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

you can still buy a really nice 45 for around $7500 and that's a lot of fun for the money. if you think you will want to jump up to 60 or 70 MPH for any length of time the 74 or 80 is a better choice but will cost you twice as much. the 45 is dam near indestructible and i highly recommend it for your first ride. parts are cheap and maintainance is low. are you anywhere near tennessee? i can show you one in a small barn that has been there since about 1955 or so. i think its a 42 WLA with civilian fenders

Comment

The wla is the choice for both on and off roading. Mil spec olive drab paint and no need to worry about rusting chrome surfaces.

Comment

Can you say "Jack Pine"???
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

This is an objection to calling the VLs 'primitive'. All Harleys 1903-1936 had once-through oiling, so why do the VLs get all the stick? They probably use less oil than the early knuckleheads, but let's leave that can of worms closed.

Look at the longest distance ridden to the last Dixon meet. 1000+ miles on a '34 VL is not too shabby. With those very stiff forged I-beam forks, the 18 or 19 inch wheels, and that cast iron motor low in the frame, they make great riding bikes. They are 50-100 pounds lighter than the later flathead Big Twins, (and 220 pounds lighter than a Heritage Softtail Classic) and don't have the heavy front end like post 1940 bikes with the 5.00 x 16 tyres.

A VLD took the AMA production bike speed record in 1932 at 104 mph, and you have that mid-range flathead grunt which is where everyday riding takes place. The VL is like the WLA big brother, with the same good features like easy starting and maintenance, but 60% more torque and power for the same weight. It will run at highway speeds, and has those fabulous Art Deco looks that Harley keeps coming back to. Not only that, they're still out there to be found without crazy knucklehead prices. My highly biased two cents of course.

Comment

Well put Steve, However I do think that a VL is not the best choice for someone "new" to vintage flatheads. My experience has been that owners of VLs who do not understand their various strong points and weaknesses tend to get themselves in trouble and spend a fair amount of time fussing with things that they don't understand or are afraid of. The oiling system being a major stumbling block for some. Not as user friendly as a basic 45. Yes, they do look great in the '34 to '36 time frame. But there are reasons that they have remained affordable, when others have shot up in price and demand. It just makes it better for those who love and ride them. Hopefully it remains like that and VLs are not "discovered" by the collectors.
                        Robbie
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Back in the '60's I was allowed into the parts departments of many old H-D dealerships to buy obsolete parts. I found a large amount of NOS JD parts at these dealerships. When I asked why the dealers all said the same thing. When the VL appeared it was a dissapointment and sales were slow. So the dealers all stocked up on JD parts so they could continue to keep their customers JD's on the road. Unlike today when dealers refuse to touch anything that is not a Twin Cam.
                          Be sure to visit;
                          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Flat-happy, Im interested in the barn bike in Tennessee. Ive got some vacation coming up and would be able to make the trip. Got any more info?
                            Scott Larson
                            AMCA #13589
                            Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
                            1971 HD FLH
                            1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

I have to agree with Steve. VLs are great bikes, and handle and accelerate much better than the UL (yes I've owned and rode both, and the UL's gone). A VL was my first really old bike, and the oiling system works fine, when you do absolutely nothing with it (not hard).

For a person who has been messing with jap and Brit bikes, the wla will be a dissapointment, in power, although, maybe the best entry level price, the VL the best for power and handling, and also entry level price. The UL has every part except the motor, and tanks, the same as a Knucklehead, and you will pay dearly for every piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X