Best Oil for a 1937 UL - no oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil

I use either Penrite Shelsley Heavy or Harley 60 in a V model but I am in Australia and I don't know whether the Penrite is available in the US. With a V you can put new oil in the crankcase any time that you want so I drain after each run and put a new lot in. This is only about 125 ml of oil so its not a big deal and for me its cheap insurance.

Comment

oil for 37

Like flat I use HD 60 wt and have never had any problem. It's made for motorcycles and HD spends millions testing it. I have also used Valvoline 70 wt racing oil too but stick with the HD oil now. I use it in all my bikes from my 33 VL through my 64 pan in both engine and tranny.

Rollo
      AMCA #12766

Comment

I have used Aeroshell aircraft oil for 40 years with good results. It is available in 40(80 grade),50(100 grade),60(120 grade) non detergent or detergent. It worked great in my 2 vl,s panheads and shovelheads that I have had or still have. The main reason that I started using it(besides it was cheaper then HD) was the availability. Back in the days out here on the wide open plains HD dealerships were hard to find, much less finding one that was open on Sundays. Airports were still all over the countryside. That resolved the problem of carrying extra oil with you on longer trips. I'd be willing to bet that over half the folks around here did this. I was pointed in that direction by the old timers whom had been doing this a lot longer than me. Cam

Comment

oil castrol 10w60rs fully synthetic

...there is still no alternative to castrol 10w60rs fulls synthetic. use this without any problems in all my hd bikes form ´39 to ´01 since >25years

enthusiast

Comment

wade most all the oil if the bike has many miles with non-detergent oil keep using it. if it is a new motor ask the builder i use 60 or 70 wt in the summer then start with 50 or lower in the winter good luck and put a filter on that motor

Comment

[QUOTE=enthusiast;97705]...there is still no alternative to castrol 10w60rs fulls synthetic. use this without any problems in all my hd bikes form ´39 to ´01 since >25years

You have had an '01 for 25 years?
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
              X