No announcement yet.

Harley Davidson WLC scavenger oil line leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotten,they didn't use Nytrophyl or Peek either,....what's your point?

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
      Cotten,they didn't use Nytrophyl or Peek either,....what's your point?
      My point should be obvious, Duffey:

Admiration and respect for the resourcefulness of the founders of motorcycling!

We would not need modern floats if the fuel didn't eat everything, nor PEEK if you could get a fresh manifold over the counter every rebuild.

...Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hi, this is a short update on the leak I had on the connection between the scavenger oil pump and the nipple. As seen in the picture, it was not much leak but a few drops a day, but still quite annoying. I replaced the steel line by a new one and the problem continues. There was no cracks on the scavenger oil pump.
        What I did next was to replace the oil lines by rubber ones with the hope it will get better. It is too soon to judge, but I would appreciate to get feedback from you.
        please check the pictures. I am not sure if the look is better or worse, I have to adapt to it, as I have the feeling that steel lines are better looking, the think is that my motorcycle is a WLC anyway, although the fuel lines are all made of steel,
        Ed
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by epazikas View Post
          Hi, this is a short update on the leak I had on the connection between the scavenger oil pump and the nipple. As seen in the picture, it was not much leak but a few drops a day, but still quite annoying. I replaced the steel line by a new one and the problem continues. There was no cracks on the scavenger oil pump.
          What I did next was to replace the oil lines by rubber ones with the hope it will get better. It is too soon to judge, but I would appreciate to get feedback from you.
          please check the pictures. I am not sure if the look is better or worse, I have to adapt to it, as I have the feeling that steel lines are better looking, the think is that my motorcycle is a WLC anyway, although the fuel lines are all made of steel,
          Ed
          I've had similar problems with the flare fitting leaking and usually cured it by using a wee bit of silicone on the it. Jerry
          Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 02-27-2024, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
            Epazikas,
            Do your best to verify that there are not any cracks in the pump casting, oil nipple, oil line nut and the taper area of the line itself.
            If those items appear to be OK along with all other Gasketing, you can assume the fitting threads are wicking oil and the cause of your leak.
            I can see signs of this in the one photo showing it assembled, I'm just not sure if it was all washed away clean after assembly. It's possible I'm seeing assembly oil residue in the image.
            Regardless if things check out, use Loctite Thread sealant 565 in its correct intended way of application on that type of connection and your leak will go away.

Hope this helps,
            Duke
            Did you try the Loctite 565? It is specifically engineered for this application. Keep in mind you must spend the time forming proper alignment of the lines first, yeah it is very time consuming but crucial!
            IMG_20210608_100219673.jpg
            These oil and fuel lines on my 57' have thousands of miles on them. They don't drip nor do they sweat. I believe you can zoom in on the photo for a look. I spend hours fitting and lapping the joints but also use 565 to insure a proper seal over many heat cycles and vibration encounters while riding. Give it a try if you haven't.
            Hope this helps,
            Duke

Comment

...I spend hours fitting and lapping the joints but also use 565 to insure a proper seal over many heat cycles and vibration encounters while riding. Give it a try if you haven't...
              The suspenders-and-a-belt approach, Duke?

I was never above using teflon tape!

....Cotten
              PS: Just curious: How did you spin that scavenger pump cover flare true into the line flare to lap it?
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-27-2024, 02:52 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Cotton,
                I lap the fittings with a assembly lubricant.
                My reason is to insure fitment under compression without stress on the line or fitting. I do this to insure they don't crack
                ( At least I hope)...the 565 is used for assure a proper seal.

So in the end, lapp and align for stress, sealant for leaks, sweating and securement.

It's worked for me for a lot of years now.

Duke

Comment

Cotton,
                  I lap the fittings with a assembly lubricant.
                  My reason is to insure fitment under compression without stress on the line or fitting. I do this to insure they don't crack
                  ( At least I hope)...the 565 is used for assure a proper seal.

So in the end, lapp and align for stress, sealant for leaks, sweating and securement.

It's worked for me for a lot of years now.

Duke
                  I lapped almost everything I could, Duke!

But how did you squarely lap a scavenger pump cover into a return line?

scavengers.JPG

....Cotten
                  PS: Just that bottom piece with the flare of course...

PPS: These are all available. Note the USNavy blue body!
                  AMCA #776

Comment

I believe I should have chosen the term burnish lap.
                    I first spend the time aligning the flared tube with the nipple assuring it contacts correctly X and Y @ 90 degrees. This can be very time consuming as you know.
                    When finished the line will set in place without nuts installed with no gaps and no pressure.
                    ​​​​​ Then I place engine assembly lubricant on the inside and outside of the flare on the line as well as the nipple flare and threads. I install the nut and burnish lap the assembly using the nut. You see it form things together while doing this.
                    Next I'll wash all components up thoroughly and properly apply my 565 gasket. I like to use gaskets I guess. No days they use O rings on flare fittings for a gasket as well...

This process has work very well for me over the years.

Hope this helps,
                    Duke
                    Last edited by dukekleman; 02-27-2024, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I believe I should have chosen the term burnish lap.
                      I first spend the time aligning the flared tube with the nipple assuring it contacts correctly X and Y @ 90 degrees. This can be very time consuming as you know.
                      When finished the line will set in place without nuts installed with no gaps and no pressure.
                      ​​​​​ Then I place engine assembly lubricant on the inside and outside of the flare on the line as well as the nipple flare and threads. I install the nut and burnish lap the assembly using the nut. You see it form things together while doing this.
                      Next I'll wash all components up thoroughly and properly apply my 565 gasket. I like to use gaskets I guess. No days they use O rings on flare fittings for a gasket as well...

This process has work very well for me over the years.

Hope this helps,
                      Duke
                      So Duke,...

By "burnish lapping", you mean tighten-'n'-loosen-'n'-tighten-'n'-loosen-'n-tighten-'n'-loosen-'n'-tighten-n-loosen-n-...?

I've done that too. If it still needed a goober, I figured it didn't work.

Its all semantics I know!

...Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

So Duke,...

By "burnish lapping", you mean tighten-'n'-loosen-'n'-tighten-'n'-loosen-'n-tighten-'n'-loosen-'n'-tighten-n-loosen-n-...?

I've done that too. If it still needed a goober, I figured it didn't work.

Its all semantics I know!

...Cotten
                        Cotton,
                        I just know it all works together as an entire practice.
                        I've never spent the time to see if it works without a gasket, I just do it the first time around with the 565 gasket and be done.
                        Duke

Comment

Cotton,
                          I just know it all works together as an entire practice.
                          I've never spent the time to see if it works without a gasket, I just do it the first time around with the 565 gasket and be done.
                          Duke
                          It reinforces my admiration and respect for the resourcefulness of the founders of motorcycling, Duke,...

Because they didn't have flying saucer goobers!

....Cotten
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-27-2024, 07:41 PM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                          X