M88 Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M88 Carb

You guys that spend some time here already know I aquired a1945WL recently. The previous owner has found the M88-Linkert that he removed from bike before putting it away a decade ago or so ago.

I've got it in my hand and I've got to say it looks good. But good to me could be sh..t to someone else. I'm not the kind to take something apart for the hell of it, but I do what to be sure that the carb is not one of the problems when I go to try and fire this thing up in a few weeks.

I been around here awhile and I know I should just send it to Cotten and forget about it but I want to hear this thing run NOW.
    I hvae already done pressure test on engine and the plumbers manifold if fine so far.
    My question is this:
    What are my odds of throwing a rebuilt kit in this M88 and putting it on the bike and getting it running?

Come on guys it's been slow around here lately. What do ya think?-Steve

My thoughts ? Give it a good cleaning while assembled, lay out a clean work space. Disassemble all easily removable components. Don't mix the parts up in a pile. Re clean the body and what is left and still on the body assembly. Take special note to passages, threads, and ports. Check shafts for sloppy side clearances etc.. Inspect plates and wear areas of body for plates. Clean each and every single other component that you already removed, one part at a time. Inspect all of those. Tag all of the parts with part numbers. Note on each tag whether usable or not. Replace the worn out parts. Now..........if the task becomes a bit of a pain in the butt ??? Just remember !! Since the components are already cleaned and tagged with part numbers, Cotten won't be as angry with you when you send it to him. Paps

Comment

I would start out by putting in one of Cotten's floats and making sure that the venturi is snug around the edges with no air gaps then fire it up

Comment

The only thing I would do is check the float. First, see if it's got a float, then check height and offset. Linkerts may be crude but they sure are reliable. Just put it on and dial it in to the book.

Comment

Thanks for the moral support guys. I've sent Cotten an e-mail with my request for a new float. While I'm waiting I can use the time to look over other things on this 45" to be sure it will be safe to ride once I do get it running. Going is only fun if you can stop and the wheels don't fall off inbetween.-Steve

Comment

Not thoughly cleaning it out may cause problems. I would hate to have a foreign unknown object get ****ed into the valves or rings only because I didn't take a bit of extra time to make sure there weren't any in the first place. Paps

Comment

Huh ??? didn't realize the word used when an engine draws a fuel mixture into it was naughty. Paps

Comment

Oh I'll clean it out real good first Paps. I can be darn right anul about these kinds of things. This bike sat for over a decade without the carb on it and without so much as a rag stuck in the manifold to keep junk out. I'm crossing my fingers about that.

I did stick a bore-scope into the manifold to check for posssible rodents nests and such. It's dirty in there but nothing appears to be living in there that I can tell. -Steve

Comment

I have two attitudes regarding the use of an engine. Either run it or tear it down and rebuild it. Component repairs to a worn out engine are a waste of time and money. If you're worried about dirt and wear, then tear it down to the last roller, measure everything, and do it right. I have a friend who's a real nit picker and I have learned that the only way to end a debate is to tell him to do it by the book.

Comment

eric....... That is my problem even today. I broke the kicker arm off on a 45" and ended up tearing the bike all the way down. Almost got it all back together after 8 years now. Should be a runner this spring again. It would have ran with just a new countershaft but after doing the complete tear down, I found to many other worn out parts and I got caught up in my pickyness. Paps

Comment

I've restored a lot of bikes and I have relied on a motorcycle as a sole means of transport. Getting a bike running and keeping one running can be very different things. A restored bike takes a big investment of pride and sacrifice. A daily rider requires a close eye on maintainace and a balance of cost versus service. I have a 51 FL that I ride a lot. I change the oil, service the battery, and check the tires. It always runs but is scratched and dirty. I have a '17 Henderson that lives the life of Riley. It gets all kinds of picky attention. Lovingly stroked, and fanned by naked servant girls. . . You know the routine. My point being (and this is only an opinion), a bike should be evaluated on it's intended use. Is it for fun, is it for work, or is it for the rider's ego? All of these are valid uses, I just think the owner needs to have this part straight in their mind before doing something extreme.

Comment

That pickyness thing is exactly my reason for starting this thread. I don't want to fall into the money trap I fell into last winter with the 56.

Last winter I took the tranny apart on my 56 with the intention of simply installing a speedo-gear. Before I knew what happened I had spent over $300.00 on a tranny that was working just fine. You know how that goes. I see some wear on a part and figure that might as well replace that too while I'm at it. ect...ect...

So this winter I promised myself to only fix what needs fixed to get it on the road and leave everything else alone. Well maybe I'll have a quick look at those kicker gears. And that how it always starts for me. Those quick looks can sure get expensive.-Steve

Comment

You nailed it Eric. Application of use determines it all. My mind set and goal on the little ole 45" was, build it from the ground up to suit my needs. This one will be a halfbreed. From a distance folks will say....hey ! Look at the cool old bike !! Once they get up close, the halfbreeding will be obvious. I am determined not to take this one apart again, other than regular maintance on brakes tires, etc.. This bike will out last my extimated life expectancy when it is completed. I should never get stranded on it over anything but a simple thing. Gonna do a full resto on another scoot but that will be my nick knack bike. A toy if you will. It will run just fine but it will not be fired up to often. I don't own any daily riders right now but plan on picking one or two up again. Those bikes will get regular maintance only. At least until they fail me drastically.

Yeah Steve !! I have not yet found a cure for pickyness. It is a terrible desease at times !! Even the don't mean a thing stuff gets to much attention Paps

Comment

Working...
                          X