Centrifugal oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centrifugal oil pump

I've got a WL with one of the centrifugal oil pumps. I added an oil pressure gage and was surprised that it registers 0 psi at idle and low speed. I understand the centrifugal bypass closes as the engine speeds up, but I am reluctant to rev the motor until I know for sure the pump is working.

I primed the pump. Then I removed the pressure gage and oil appears at that port when I turn the engine over. I also have oil return when the engine is running (but that is a different pump).

So how can I confirm oil is getting from the pump to the crank? I'm thinking about blocking the centrifugal bypass chamber (remove the spring and check ball and replace with some sort of plug that won't damage the seat).

Looking for suggestions.

Jim

Originally posted by jrhussey View Post
    ...I also have oil return when the engine is running (but that is a different pump)...

Looking for suggestions..
    There would be no oil for the scavenger to return, Jim,..

If the feed pump wasn't supplying it.

My suggestion would be to remove the gauge, as pressure is only a measure of how warmed the motor might be.

Its all about flow.

....Cotten

AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Oil had sumped in the crank case. I removed the plug drained the excess, but there was still oil in there.

Is there a way to confirm flow? After several attempts to repair the seat, this bike still sumps when it sits. I am at the point of considering an anti sump valve (wired through the ignition switch) but worry it will reduce flow. The sumping problem is where this all began

Comment

How thick is your pump gasket?
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by jrhussey View Post
          Oil had sumped in the crank case. I removed the plug drained the excess, but there was still oil in there.

Is there a way to confirm flow? After several attempts to repair the seat, this bike still sumps when it sits. I am at the point of considering an anti sump valve (wired through the ignition switch) but worry it will reduce flow. The sumping problem is where this all began
          Beware Jim,

Oil can also seep past the cam bushing, if I remember right.

The only way to improve a seat is with a flat-cut: https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...ting-ball-seat

After years of attacking this problem, my best suggestion is to drain the oil into a jug if the machine will sit idle for many weeks.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Robbie - I don't know the gasket thickness. I can measure the next time I remove the pump. I have replacement gaskets that are 0.015" and some that are 0.009". I am assuming the recommendation is to use the thinest gasket?

Cotton - Im the end I suspect it's easier to drain the oil tank than mess with anti sumping valves.

Thanks
            Jim

Comment

The correct gasket is typically around .004" to .005". Consider making one.

Comment

Will do. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X