Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Axle fitment

Hey Everyone,

Firstly, thank you to everyone who responded to previous questions about my first rebuild. Not really a rebuild, more of a dismantle and inspect, to discover issues that could exacerbate during my second Motorcycle Cannonball attempt. The first one ended in disaster before I even left home on day-minus 3.

My question pertains to the spring ring 3973-30. I believe it is intended to fit into the groove on the axle shaft. If this is the case the one I was sent is too big. If it's not the case, where does recess into in order to hold the bearings in place in the rear brake hub? You can see in the photo the inner diameter of the spring ring sent is much to large to fit the axle hub.

If this is in fact the wrong part, does anybody have dimensions of the actual ring? Is is possible to just replace it with an aftermarket ring from the hardware store? Not my first choice but I also cannot find 3973-30 anywhere.

Thanks,
    Lochlain

SpringRing3973_30.jpg
    Last edited by loch; 06-03-2023, 02:13 PM.

I don't recall seeing a clip like that in any of my VL's.
    Did you also do a sealed bearing upgrade in the hub? If not, i suggest it. they take almost all of the wobble out of the hub (caused by worn splines in the hub & drum)

Comment

and looking forward to riding with you on the Cannonball this September!
      I'll be on my 25JD again, rider #105.

Comment

Thanks knucklehead 61!

My number is 68. See you in Va. Beach!

I did upgrade to the sealed bearing, I had to remove it and compare the measurements to the old bearing assembly. Getting the axle spacer in was a real bear. I had to force the forks apart to slide the spacer in. Looking at pre-disassembly photos everything looks exactly the same. And the measurement with the old hub bearing assembly were exactly the same. Today I'm reinstalling the new pistons, rings and reconditioned cylinders.

I've done so much work on this cycle. When I got it there was no fuel line to the carburetor from the main tank. Instead a bolt filled the hole in the bottom of the tank. The owner wrapped the threads with anti-seize tape, which of course was leaking old gas onto the rear head. He didn't even have the where with all to drain the tank. That alone told me I didn't even want to start it. I immediately started the tear down. It's been quite a journey! With all of the necessary research and questions asked on this and other sites, it's been a great learning experience.

Best regards,
        Lochlain

OldTime5.JPG

Comment

Dear Loch, the 3973-30 you show is the hardware store item and the original part is about half the thickness. I used to make them by grinding down the new ones, but no-one would pay the cost. Harbor Vintage may still have some. It is just a bearing retainer, and the rear brakes are often seen missing this part.

Comment

Thanks Steve.

What kind of issues can I expect is I omit the 3973-30?

Please note, the one in the picture is the one Harbor Vintage sent.

I suspect the part they sent is just an oversight while pulling parts from the bins. I did order a lot of hub parts.

And thank you, Steve, for taking the time to write the manual on VLs. It has been a constant companion during this process. My copy now has grease smudges all over the wheel and brake, and transmission sections. I think another, clean copy to keep in the study (I don't really have a study but it sounds better) is in order.

Lochlain

Comment

I wasn’t going to reply but , I used a pane of glass and sand paper to thin out the split ring from True Value . I will also make my own gaskets they have gasket paper it’s a little thick Grangers has a arbor shim kit that is handy. While I m here I really liked the amp gage in your original post you should keep it it may be useful in the future. Good luck thanks for all the post enjoy

Comment

Dear Loch, thanks for the nice words on the VL restoration book. Replicant Metals and Harbor Vintage should have copies of the latest edition, should you need a clean bedside copy as well as a workshop copy. If you leave out that retaining clip then you'll just need to careful not to spill out the rollers when removing the brake drum.

Comment

Steve, Shovelhead68, my apologies for the late reply. I've been busy with trying to get my VL on the road for the Cannonball.

I've run into another set back as I attempt to cover all the bases for the cross-country adventure. I'm going to create a new post since this issue may be experienced by other VL owners.

Best regards,
                  Loch

Comment

Working...
                  X