James Copper Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Copper Gaskets

Finally got my 1954 45" back from a total rebuild of the bottom end and cylinders. I have iron heads, and have a set of the James copper gaskets with the embossed bead (raised on one side all around, plus encircling the bolt holes). I know to aneal them and use Copper Spray-A-Gasket. What I don't know is which side faces up towards the head, and they aren't marked. Google is no help, but you guys always are.
    Ride it like you can fix it!

I understand why you would want to anneal a used copper gasket, John..

Apparently, duty work-hardens them. But shouldn't a brand new one be soft?

And its been decades, but I thought the OEM gaskets were all the same, so you just flipped one for the other head. Did JAMES make two different head gaskets?

....Cotten
    PS: Please inspect your cylinder decks and heads for "flat" before assembly.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-23-2023, 09:59 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Never used them before, and I hadn't broken the seal on the package. They have a little flex to them, but not having used them before, I don't know if that's "soft". From what I'd read, I thought it was standard practice to aneal them all.

Comment

It makes no difference which side is up. And you will find that they are opposite each other since they are the same stamping. OEM are just one stamping.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yup, Robbie, now that I opened the package I see one goes on embossed ridge up, the other down.

And yes, Cotten, all 4 surfaces checked with a straight edge and a light behind in a darkened room, plus a few swipes with a whetstone reveals no high spots.
          Last edited by JSB55; 04-23-2023, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Were OEM copper gaskets "embossed", or "corregated", etc., Folks?

Does anybody have examples?

Thicknesses would be great, too, Thanks in advance!

...Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
            X