WLA Seat Scuff rivets/studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLA Seat Scuff rivets/studs

What is the dome diameter of the 6 scuff rivets/studs on the top of the seat? What is the type of rivets: are they jiffy rivets, splashed rivets, bifurcated? Where can they be purchased? I can't even find a good picture of the back of an original seat that shows the type of rivet.
    Thank you in advance for your time!
    Ryan

Ps: What color is the leather, light brown, dark brown, tan etc?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by ryan; 03-25-2023, 07:01 PM.

The heads caliper to an odd .475", Ryan,

WLARVTS.jpg

So I'm guessing 12mm, and the underside is a normal star rivet 'upset'; I guess that's "splashed"?

starrivts.jpg

Set with a tool like this...

STARIVET.jpg

Mine is 'patinated' with years of hanging on a wall.

WLASEAT1.jpg

....Cotten
    PS: Upon further inspection, the extreme corrosion upon the rivet heads inspite of no moisture damage to the leather makes me guess they were Park'd. (I don't have Palmer's Military tome.)
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-25-2023, 07:56 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks a bunch Cotten!!! That is everything I asked for, now I just need to find a them. Yes, they are splashed, semi-tubular, round-head rivets.
      Will you please show a picture of the, whole, bottom of the seat?

Somehow I ended up with several aftermarket seats that had military style stamped pans
      so I am making one look more original for my friends wla. I had 5 hours in the pan today which included lathe work, welding, drilling, grinding, rounding front mount rivets with a concave punch and hammer and a lot of hammer and dolly work.

Ps: What is the, center to center, distance between the .475" rivets, perhaps.750"? Also, are the rivet heads, on the rivets that fasten the leather strip to the pan, .3125" or .375"? Thanks again for your help Cotten!
      Last edited by ryan; 03-26-2023, 05:26 AM.

Comment

The 'scuff' rivets are not evenly spaced, Ryan!

Nor are they linear; The centers average ~1.060" apart, except for one pair at 1.140".

The binding strip rivet heads are ~.400", or 11mm, with the exception of the very nose that is an inverted star rivet, and one odd smaller rivet above it.

WLAseatpan nose.jpg
        WLAseatpan1.jpg

WLAseatpan2.jpg
        .....Cotten
        PS: Bottom surfaces were aggressively cleaned to prevent further deterioration, and by no means original, only authentic.
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-26-2023, 10:50 AM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks again Cotten, I greatly appreciate it!!!! They sure riveted several pieces of leather strap to the pan. It looks like I got all the vent holes in the correct locations, I may run my pan through the bead roller before I am finished.

I did find the part number for the scuff rivets, but that does not help any. Lol

Thanks again Cotten for your time and the pictures, you helped me more than you know!!!!

Comment

Cotton, I forgot to ask the height of the .475" rivet head, will you please try to measure this please? The .475" rivets look like typical oval head rivets to me, but it is better to check. I think I found a source for the rivets. Again, thanks for your help! Let me know if you need anything sewn, I can sew up to an inch of leather on one of my machines.

Comment

Ryan, Could you share your source for rivets?
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by eddiepanhead View Post
                Ryan, Could you share your source for rivets?
                Thanks
                I sure will. The finish is zinc plated, so I will park'd them myself. I do not like using steel rivets in seats, but this will be an exception.

https://catalog.chicagorivet.com/ite...rivets/pn-1073
                Last edited by ryan; 03-27-2023, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                  Cotton, I forgot to ask the height of the .475" rivet head, will you please try to measure this please? ....
                  My best guesstimate, Ryan,...

Would be ~.165" (or a little over four millimeters).

And I was only guessing they were Parkerized; Maybe they were 'flash' nickel:

zzH5VS.jpg

Palmer's military book should have the correct finish, no doubt.

....Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-27-2023, 01:14 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post

I sure will. The finish is zinc plated, so I will park'd them myself. I do not like using steel rivets in seats, but this will be an exception.

https://catalog.chicagorivet.com/ite...rivets/pn-1073
                    Well the .475" rivet head, I found on the website above, are only half that height of the scuff rivets you measured. I think the scuff rivets are called mushroom head rivets, not sure though. However, the company does carry the correct rivets for the straps that are riveted to the pan.

Thanks again for everything Cotten! The hunt goes on.
                    Last edited by ryan; 03-27-2023, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Well I think I have the scuff rivets figured out. I think they used caps from a lignes 20 snap or a12.5 mm snap cap, which meets the diameter, height and fastening type.
                      Even though there are standard lignes sizes, the unit used for button sizes, this does not mean all lignes(line) 20 snaps have the same cap diameter and cap thickness.

Snap size chart
                      https://www.sizes.com/tools/snap_fasteners.htm

Location size proof

https://grommetmart.com/product/ring...-20-ligne-cap/

Comment

Working...
                      X