No announcement yet.

Venturi stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom, not rushing out to get an ultrasonic cleaner. Likewise, when I was in the Navy we had industrial ultrasonic cleaners that would make cleaning gun parts a breeze. I suspect anything I purchase for home use would be woefully inadequate.

Sidebar: as the carburetor soaks I'm tacking the rewiring job. Anybody have any idea which side of the ammeter is ground, or if it matters? I expect it would matter since the wiring diagram shows current flowing from the instrument panel light through the ammeter and back to the battery.

Comment

Venturi is out - finally.

After way too much patience with this thing I took the grinding tips to the interior of the Venturi. Keep in mind that I already attempt heating, freezing, then reheating the carburetor body in the hope I could get the carburetor to expand before the Venturi warmed up. No joy on any attempts to free the Venturi.

Last resort, a grinding tip with a 6 inch long shaft, mounted in a hand drill with variable speed control, a firm grip on the carburetor body and very precise movements of the bit to cut a groove in the Venturi body - without damaging the carburetor. Once I had the groove nearly all the length of the Venturi I stood the carburetor on end, pressed a flat tip screwdriver against the edge of main nozzle hole and gave it a good strike with a hammer. It moved, two more and it was out.

I'm not sure why the Venturi is so black. I don't recall the Panhead Venturi being like this. There was also a crusty dark brown mass near the nozzle hole - caked on the inside of the Venturi. Despite all of the soaking.

VLVenturi.jpg

VLVenturiExterior.jpg

VLVenturiInterior.jpg

Comment

You gotta do what you gotta do, Lochlain!

A press might have saved you a lot of time and effort, but even then venturies can't always be saved, yet graciously they are replaceable.

FRYDVENT.jpg

Particularly when the carb burned and welded them in...

BURNVENT.jpg

Now I suggest inspecting for bore wear from the throttledisc.
        ("Blue-printing" would be to hone away the wear mark, and custom-fitting a matched over-size disc and venturi.)

ventkit.jpg

But frankly, I know of no vendor offering the service at this time.

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-23-2023, 06:19 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks, Tom!

I would say at the very least the Venturi was burned - looking at the photos. It's the first thing I thought when it finally fell out of the carburetor.

The past few years it has gotten really difficult in this area (S.E. PA) to find shops that will work on old bikes. The guy who is rebuilding the Panhead lower end says he won't touch another VL. He had one in his shop. The owner was coming to get it because he didn't have the time or patience for it. He nearly begged me not to buy the VL I have now. He does do great work, he's been in the business for at least 20 years, very knowledgeable. But no more pre '36 bikes. He suggested I look for a UL. Well, that won't work for the Cannonball this year. And so I made the leap. And I'm glad I did.

- Loch

Comment

Working...
          X