37 rear brake backing plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 rear brake backing plate

the brake backing plate stay has twisted and came out of the frame and brake locked up does anyone have any experience with this and what i can do to stop this from happening again thanks if you can help

Is it the frame or the backing plate that is damaged?

Comment

Originally posted by ldfly112 View Post
      the brake backing plate stay has twisted and came out of the frame and brake locked up does anyone have any experience with this and what i can do to stop this from happening again thanks if you can help
      It is usually caused by the brake cam going to far in its travel and locking the shoes causing the tab on the backing plate to fail. The main reason is too much shoe travel due to worn shoes, worn drums, excessive wear on the pad where the cam rides. Cures are bonded thicker shoes carefully arced to the drum. A replacement drum if it is beyond service life, welding up the contact pad and lessening the cam travel, or a combination of several of those.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

37 backing plates had a smaller brake anchor support on the backside and less rivets to hold it together, it was a poor design and we usually put a 38-57 brake backing plate on to replace it, as it is a direct bolt on and more rigid. If you are a purist, you are SOL
        http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

it is the backing plate that failed bent the tab almost completely off. they are new brake shoes and repop hub only a couple hundred miles on the bike since complete rebuild I have welded a much stronger piece of steel where the tab was located hope this will help thanks for your comments

Comment

Working...
          X